Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

City welcomes new Burnaby RCMP Officer in Charge

City welcomes new Burnaby RCMP Officer in Charge
Chief Superintendent Parmar brings nearly three decades of distinguished service with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, having served in communities across British Columbia including Powell River, Kelowna and Surrey. His career has spanned frontline patrol, major crime investigations, operational leadership and strategic transition planning. 

City welcomes new Burnaby RCMP Officer in Charge

B.C. public service job action escalates with overtime ban at liquor warehouses

B.C. public service job action escalates with overtime ban at liquor warehouses
The BC General Employees' Union says in a statement that the overtime ban is effective today and applies to distribution centres in Delta, Richmond and Kamloops as well as at the Liquor Distribution Branch's head office in Burnaby.

B.C. public service job action escalates with overtime ban at liquor warehouses

Premiers Smith and Eby condemn assassination of American activist Charlie Kirk

Premiers Smith and Eby condemn assassination of American activist Charlie Kirk
Smith says the shooting should be condemned across the political spectrum, while Eby says it's a chance to reflect on the importance of a peaceful political culture.

Premiers Smith and Eby condemn assassination of American activist Charlie Kirk

High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says
On Thursday, Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government's new major projects office will work to speed up engineering and regulatory work on the Alto high-speed rail line. 

High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

Danielle Smith, Alberta Next panel received warmly by Lethbridge crowd in latest stop

Danielle Smith, Alberta Next panel received warmly by Lethbridge crowd in latest stop
While many audience members pushed back on the province's six proposals with the aim of taking greater control over immigration, policing, taxation and other issues, the crowd joined past town halls by overwhelmingly supporting the ideas in straw polls.

Danielle Smith, Alberta Next panel received warmly by Lethbridge crowd in latest stop

School bus fire: Quebec pulls all 1,200 Lion electric buses off roads for inspection

School bus fire: Quebec pulls all 1,200 Lion electric buses off roads for inspection
The provincial government said it took the preventive measure after a Lion electric school bus caught fire in Montreal earlier this week.

School bus fire: Quebec pulls all 1,200 Lion electric buses off roads for inspection