Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Major projects to be announced

Major projects to be announced
Bill C-5, which moved through Parliament at lightning speed in the spring, is meant to streamline and speed up approvals for large infrastructure projects the prime minister and his cabinet decide are in the national interest.

Major projects to be announced

Extreme weather, U.S. funding cuts add pressure for Canada's weather service: report

Extreme weather, U.S. funding cuts add pressure for Canada's weather service: report
The independent assessment prepared for Environment and Climate Change Canada says significant cuts to the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration threaten a wide range of weather and water monitoring in Canada, from the Arctic to the Great Lakes. 

Extreme weather, U.S. funding cuts add pressure for Canada's weather service: report

Driver facing charges in daycare crash that killed toddler, injured six other kids

Driver facing charges in daycare crash that killed toddler, injured six other kids
The man, who was arrested at the scene in Richmond Hill, Ont., is facing one count of dangerous driving causing death and one count of dangerous driving causing bodily harm, said York Regional Police.

Driver facing charges in daycare crash that killed toddler, injured six other kids

Canada Looks East: Trump’s Tariff Tantrums Trigger Canada’s Pivot to Europe

Canada Looks East: Trump’s Tariff Tantrums Trigger Canada’s Pivot to Europe
Even as Canada and the U.S. are still engaged in trade talks, which can lead to a deal that might reduce tariffs, Prime Minister Mark Carney’s recent war of words with Trump has indicated that things will not remain the same between the two neighbors.  

Canada Looks East: Trump’s Tariff Tantrums Trigger Canada’s Pivot to Europe

Vancouver festival attack suspect faces 31 more charges as he is ruled fit for trial

Vancouver festival attack suspect faces 31 more charges as he is ruled fit for trial
The attempted murder charges were described at a provincial court hearing where a judge ruled that Adam Kai-Ji Lo is mentally fit to stand trial over the April 26 attack in which an SUV plowed through a crowded street.

Vancouver festival attack suspect faces 31 more charges as he is ruled fit for trial

Alberta woman pleads guilty to manslaughter with Crown, police at odds

Alberta woman pleads guilty to manslaughter with Crown, police at odds
Edmonton's interim police chief earlier made public a letter from his force to Alberta's justice ministry saying it was aware of the plea deal and urged the Crown to call it off.

Alberta woman pleads guilty to manslaughter with Crown, police at odds