Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Almost half of Canadians want the Temporary Foreign Worker program eliminated: poll

Almost half of Canadians want the Temporary Foreign Worker program eliminated: poll
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre recently proposed eliminating the program in response to high youth unemployment. The unemployment rate for people aged 15 to 24 hit 14.6 per cent nationally in July, according to Statistics Canada data.

Almost half of Canadians want the Temporary Foreign Worker program eliminated: poll

Carney touts Bay du Nord oilfield and Quebec energy deal in Newfoundland

Carney touts Bay du Nord oilfield and Quebec energy deal in Newfoundland
Provinces are eager for their infrastructure and energy projects to be included on Carney's list of what he calls "nation-building projects" that would get accelerated approvals from the federal government — and Newfoundland and Labrador is no exception.

Carney touts Bay du Nord oilfield and Quebec energy deal in Newfoundland

Carney government noncommittal about Canada meeting 2030 climate goals

Carney government noncommittal about Canada meeting 2030 climate goals
In an email to The Canadian Press on Monday, the office of Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin said Canada is committed to reaching net-zero emissions by 2050 — but would not commit to the 2030 target when asked directly.

Carney government noncommittal about Canada meeting 2030 climate goals

New Vancouver policing district for Downtown Eastside as task force results unveiled

New Vancouver policing district for Downtown Eastside as task force results unveiled
Police and Mayor Ken Sim said that in the six months of the task force's operation from February to August, violent crime in the Downtown Eastside fell to its lowest level in 23 years, down 18 per cent compared to the same period last year.

New Vancouver policing district for Downtown Eastside as task force results unveiled

Suspect pleads not guilty in triple stabbing at 2023 Vancouver Chinatown festival

Suspect pleads not guilty in triple stabbing at 2023 Vancouver Chinatown festival
Blair Donnelly, who attended court on Monday carrying a Bible and wearing a navy sweatsuit and bright orange sandals, had been on unescorted leave from the B.C. Forensic Psychiatric Hospital in Coquitlam the day of the attack.

Suspect pleads not guilty in triple stabbing at 2023 Vancouver Chinatown festival

Liberal MPs meet in Edmonton to prepare for fall sitting, major projects agenda

Liberal MPs meet in Edmonton to prepare for fall sitting, major projects agenda
It's the first time the caucus has met since June, and the first caucus retreat held outside Ottawa since Carney took over the party's leadership last March.

Liberal MPs meet in Edmonton to prepare for fall sitting, major projects agenda