Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Former immigration minister says Poilievre is rallying 'anti-immigrant' views

Former immigration minister says Poilievre is rallying 'anti-immigrant' views
Yesterday, Poilievre told a press conference in Brampton, Ont., that high rates of immigration in recent years are the reason "our youth can't find jobs or homes."

Former immigration minister says Poilievre is rallying 'anti-immigrant' views

Carney plans to announce on Thursday the first major projects under bill C-5

Carney plans to announce on Thursday the first major projects under bill C-5
Carney is in Edmonton speaking to Liberal MPs at a caucus retreat ahead of the return of the House of Commons next week.

Carney plans to announce on Thursday the first major projects under bill C-5

As EU mulls sanctions, Liberals want to 'move forward' after Israeli strike on Qatar

As EU mulls sanctions, Liberals want to 'move forward' after Israeli strike on Qatar
Israel says it targeted senior Hamas leaders in the capital Doha on Tuesday, while the militant group says its main ceasefire negotiator survived the attack.

As EU mulls sanctions, Liberals want to 'move forward' after Israeli strike on Qatar

Canadian sentenced to 11 years in U.S. prison for trafficking cocaine

Canadian sentenced to 11 years in U.S. prison for trafficking cocaine
The U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Texas says an investigation found Jack Kasjaniuk received, repackaged and sent hundreds of kilograms of cocaine over two years.

Canadian sentenced to 11 years in U.S. prison for trafficking cocaine

Ottawa man confirmed dead in Lisbon streetcar crash

Ottawa man confirmed dead in Lisbon streetcar crash
Aziz Benharref, a Canadian who lived in the Orleans neighbourhood, was on vacation in Portugal with his wife, Hind Iguernane, when the derailment happened. 

Ottawa man confirmed dead in Lisbon streetcar crash

Vancouver hits 23-year low in violent crime as Mayor Sim backs new VPD direction on Downtown Eastside

Vancouver hits 23-year low in violent crime as Mayor Sim backs new VPD direction on Downtown Eastside
Mayor Ken Sim welcomed the Vancouver Police Department’s plan to establish a new district to provide oversight and dedicated, permanent resources in the area.

Vancouver hits 23-year low in violent crime as Mayor Sim backs new VPD direction on Downtown Eastside