Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man given five months in U.S. jail for smuggling people across border from B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Apr, 2025 11:42 AM
  • Man given five months in U.S. jail for smuggling people across border from B.C.

The U.S. District Attorney’s office in Seattle says a 27-year-old man has been sentenced to five months in jail for helping smuggle eight Indian nationals across the border between British Columbia and Washington state.

It says Rajat Rajat, an Indian citizen who lives in California, was indicted alongside three other people.

The office says the group was connected to at least two attempts at smuggling in late 2023 that involved eight Indian citizens.

The office says in a statement that U.S. District Judge Tana Lin noted that Rajat played a "critical role in the smugglingconspiracy, arranging travel and paying co-conspirators."

He was handed a five-month sentence, and two other defendants were given four- and six-month jail terms, while a woman, who is in the country on student visa, is scheduled to go to trial in January.

The release says Lin also ordered Rajat to serve three years of supervised release after jail, but she noted that he will likely be deported following his term.

Acting U.S. Attorney Teal Luthy Miller called Rajat a "mid-level manager of this smuggling scheme," who helped non-citizens cross the border and even fronting some travel costs for them.

In asking for a jail term, the prosecution wrote to the court that it was a co-ordinated, transnational scheme that had operated repeatedly over an extended time. 

"Mr. Rajat’s role in the organization was not one that can be considered minor. Rather, he was essential to its function," the statement said. 

"Mr. Rajat actively promoted the scheme by purchasing flights for his 'customers' and communicating directly with them, advising non-citizens on how and when to clandestinely enter the United States," it said. 

The statement says that in November 2023, surveillance video caught multiple people jumping a fence, just east of Peace Arch Park between Surrey, B.C., and Blaine, Wash. 

Border Patrol agents saw five people run to a white minivan, which was then stopped by officers.

The statement says five India nationals were found inside the van. 

The investigation revealed Rajat asked for payments from the non-citizens in return for being smuggled into the United States, the statement says.

It says the next month, Rajat met three citizens of India inPeace Arch Park and directed them to cross through the park and get into a vehicle parked near the border

That car was also stopped, and the office says the non-citizens "indicated they had promised to make monetary payments to be smuggled into the U.S." 

It says Rajat was then picked up near the border.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person
A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

B.C. Conservative leader names shadow cabinet, gives job to controversial member

B.C. Conservative leader names shadow cabinet, gives job to controversial member
B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad has assigned jobs to 41 of his 44-member caucus, including giving a critic's position to MLA Brent Chapman, who faced calls to step down during the campaign over controversial social media remarks. Several groups called on Rustad during last month's election to remove Chapman as his party's candidate over the posts, including one in which he called Palestinian children "inbred walking, talking, breathing time bombs."

B.C. Conservative leader names shadow cabinet, gives job to controversial member

Former PM Stephen Harper appointed to oversee Alberta's $160B AIMCo fund manager

Former PM Stephen Harper appointed to oversee Alberta's $160B AIMCo fund manager
Former prime minister Stephen Harper is the new chairman of the Alberta Investment Management Corp., which oversees more than $160 billion in funds, including pension funds and the Heritage Savings Trust Fund. The move comes almost two weeks after the province's finance minister fired the Crown agency's entire board, along with a number of executives, citing ballooning costs and substandard returns.

Former PM Stephen Harper appointed to oversee Alberta's $160B AIMCo fund manager

Eby's NDP cabinet 'bloated, expensive,' says B.C. Conservative leader John Rustad

Eby's NDP cabinet 'bloated, expensive,' says B.C. Conservative leader John Rustad
British Columbia Conservative Leader John Rustad says Premier David Eby's new cabinet appears to be a taxpayer-funded loyalty program that rewards NDP caucus. Eby introduced his new cabinet this week, which includes 23 ministers, four ministers of state and 14 parliamentary secretaries. 

Eby's NDP cabinet 'bloated, expensive,' says B.C. Conservative leader John Rustad

Investigation led to huge drug bust, which will disrupt Surrey drug trade, says RCMP

Investigation led to huge drug bust, which will disrupt Surrey drug trade, says RCMP
Mounties in Surrey say a year-long investigation has led to one of the largest drug seizures in the detachment's history and will "disrupt" the drug trade in the city. RCMP say they launched an investigation in June 2023 into a criminal group alleged to be involved in trafficking "high-potency" drugs and illicit firearms in the Lower Mainland. 

Investigation led to huge drug bust, which will disrupt Surrey drug trade, says RCMP

B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry

B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry
Spencer Chandra Herbert, minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says in a statement that they want to bring the "biggest productions" to the province, allowing talent in B.C. to continue with work that comes "with a good pay cheque."

B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry