Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man given five months in U.S. jail for smuggling people across border from B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Apr, 2025 11:42 AM
  • Man given five months in U.S. jail for smuggling people across border from B.C.

The U.S. District Attorney’s office in Seattle says a 27-year-old man has been sentenced to five months in jail for helping smuggle eight Indian nationals across the border between British Columbia and Washington state.

It says Rajat Rajat, an Indian citizen who lives in California, was indicted alongside three other people.

The office says the group was connected to at least two attempts at smuggling in late 2023 that involved eight Indian citizens.

The office says in a statement that U.S. District Judge Tana Lin noted that Rajat played a "critical role in the smugglingconspiracy, arranging travel and paying co-conspirators."

He was handed a five-month sentence, and two other defendants were given four- and six-month jail terms, while a woman, who is in the country on student visa, is scheduled to go to trial in January.

The release says Lin also ordered Rajat to serve three years of supervised release after jail, but she noted that he will likely be deported following his term.

Acting U.S. Attorney Teal Luthy Miller called Rajat a "mid-level manager of this smuggling scheme," who helped non-citizens cross the border and even fronting some travel costs for them.

In asking for a jail term, the prosecution wrote to the court that it was a co-ordinated, transnational scheme that had operated repeatedly over an extended time. 

"Mr. Rajat’s role in the organization was not one that can be considered minor. Rather, he was essential to its function," the statement said. 

"Mr. Rajat actively promoted the scheme by purchasing flights for his 'customers' and communicating directly with them, advising non-citizens on how and when to clandestinely enter the United States," it said. 

The statement says that in November 2023, surveillance video caught multiple people jumping a fence, just east of Peace Arch Park between Surrey, B.C., and Blaine, Wash. 

Border Patrol agents saw five people run to a white minivan, which was then stopped by officers.

The statement says five India nationals were found inside the van. 

The investigation revealed Rajat asked for payments from the non-citizens in return for being smuggled into the United States, the statement says.

It says the next month, Rajat met three citizens of India inPeace Arch Park and directed them to cross through the park and get into a vehicle parked near the border

That car was also stopped, and the office says the non-citizens "indicated they had promised to make monetary payments to be smuggled into the U.S." 

It says Rajat was then picked up near the border.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. port union challenges constitutionality of labour minister's back-to-work order

B.C. port union challenges constitutionality of labour minister's back-to-work order
The union representing port supervisors in British Columbia is formally challenging the legal and constitutional authority of the federal labour minister to order them back to work. In a legal document dated Tuesday, International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 says it's questioning whether the order issued by Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon last week violates the right to collective bargaining and the right to strike.

B.C. port union challenges constitutionality of labour minister's back-to-work order

Some Canadian cities building temporary housing facilities to accommodate refugees

Some Canadian cities building temporary housing facilities to accommodate refugees
A significant increase in the number of refugees and asylum seekers in Canada has prompted some cities to start building temporary housing for new arrivals. The city of Ottawa is working to establish what's known as a sprung structure that serves as both a temporary shelter and a centre to provide settlement services such as language training and employment assistance. 

Some Canadian cities building temporary housing facilities to accommodate refugees

Trial sees texts between men accused in migrants' deaths by Manitoba-Minnesota border

Trial sees texts between men accused in migrants' deaths by Manitoba-Minnesota border
The trial of two men accused of human smuggling is getting a look at messages the prosecution says prove the pair conspired to sneak people across the Canada-United States border. Steve Shand and Harshkumar Patel have pleaded not guilty to charges of organizing several illegal crossings of Indian nationals from Manitoba to Minnesota in late 2021 and early 2022.

Trial sees texts between men accused in migrants' deaths by Manitoba-Minnesota border

Canadians favour government intervention in Canada Post, port labour disputes: poll

Canadians favour government intervention in Canada Post, port labour disputes: poll
Polling firm Leger found 63 per cent of respondents to a new survey were in favour of the Liberal government's move to step in and ask the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order a resumption of port operations and move negotiations into binding arbitration. Nineteen per cent were opposed, and another 19 per cent said they didn't know.

Canadians favour government intervention in Canada Post, port labour disputes: poll

Bomb cyclone batters B.C. with hurricane-force winds, cutting roads and power

Bomb cyclone batters B.C. with hurricane-force winds, cutting roads and power
Hurricane-force winds of up to 170 km/h have slammed into parts of the British Columbia coast as a massive storm swirling off Vancouver Island severed highways and cut power to more than 200,000 people overnight. Winds from the bomb cyclone weather system exceeded 100 km/h in multiple areas late Tuesday, with gusts approaching 80 km/h at Vancouver's airport.

Bomb cyclone batters B.C. with hurricane-force winds, cutting roads and power

Canada, U.S. close embassies to public in Ukraine due to threat of Russian strikes

Canada, U.S. close embassies to public in Ukraine due to threat of Russian strikes
The Canadian and American embassies in Ukraine are closed to the public today after the U.S. warned of a "potential significant air attack" by Russia in Kyiv.  Ukraine's intelligence agency posted a statement today accusing Russia of spreading fake messages about the threat of an "extremely massive" attack on Ukrainian cities and urging people not to panic. 

Canada, U.S. close embassies to public in Ukraine due to threat of Russian strikes