Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Oct, 2020 08:47 PM
  • Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

A man who pleaded guilty to murdering four people in Penticton, B.C., tearfully apologized to the victims' families, saying he shattered their lives when he decided to shoot the victims.

John Brittain pleaded guilty Wednesday to three counts of first-degree murder and one charge of second-degree murder and told police when he turned himself in that the people he killed had harassed his ex-wife for years.

The B.C. Supreme Court heard the 69-year-old man murdered Rudi Winter, Barry and Susan Wonch, and Darlene Knippelberg on April 15, 2019, shooting each of them multiple times.

Brittain told the court during his sentencing hearing that he is sorry for the devastation he caused his former wife, the City of Penticton and its residents, as well as police officers who responded to the carnage he caused.

He says he doesn't understand why he did what he did and the images he sees in his head will torment him for the rest of his life.

Parole eligibility for first-degree murder is set at 25 years, while it is between 10 and 25 years for second-degree murder, but Brittain's lawyer has asked a judge to impose concurrent sentences so his client would be eligible for parole in his early 90s.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver records increase in crime

Vancouver records increase in crime
Vancouver police say violent crime increased by more than five per cent and was largely driven by a rise in serious assaults.

Vancouver records increase in crime

Smoky conditions expected to improve in B.C.

Smoky conditions expected to improve in B.C.
Anyone with chronic underlying health conditions or respiratory infections, including COVID-19, is advised to limit or postpone physical activity outdoors until conditions improve.

Smoky conditions expected to improve in B.C.

Suspicious activity on CRA accounts after attack

Suspicious activity on CRA accounts after attack
The treasury says the previously-announced attacks targeted CRA accounts and GCKey, an online portal through which Canadians access employment insurance and immigration services.

Suspicious activity on CRA accounts after attack

Court upholds N.L. COVID-19 travel ban

Court upholds N.L. COVID-19 travel ban
Lawyers for Taylor and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, which was granted intervener status in the case, argued that province had overstepped its authority and violated Taylor's charter rights.

Court upholds N.L. COVID-19 travel ban

Quebec police reporting uptick in online threats

Quebec police reporting uptick in online threats
Earlier this week, interim Parti Quebecois Leader Pascal Berube called out online threats posted against him and his partner as politicians of all stripes denounced the comments.

Quebec police reporting uptick in online threats

Cargo theft a growing concern in Canada

Cargo theft a growing concern in Canada
In 2014, when the bureau started compiling cargo theft statistics, $270,000 in stolen cargo was recovered. In 2019, that figure was $14 million.

Cargo theft a growing concern in Canada