Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Oct, 2020 08:47 PM
  • Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

A man who pleaded guilty to murdering four people in Penticton, B.C., tearfully apologized to the victims' families, saying he shattered their lives when he decided to shoot the victims.

John Brittain pleaded guilty Wednesday to three counts of first-degree murder and one charge of second-degree murder and told police when he turned himself in that the people he killed had harassed his ex-wife for years.

The B.C. Supreme Court heard the 69-year-old man murdered Rudi Winter, Barry and Susan Wonch, and Darlene Knippelberg on April 15, 2019, shooting each of them multiple times.

Brittain told the court during his sentencing hearing that he is sorry for the devastation he caused his former wife, the City of Penticton and its residents, as well as police officers who responded to the carnage he caused.

He says he doesn't understand why he did what he did and the images he sees in his head will torment him for the rest of his life.

Parole eligibility for first-degree murder is set at 25 years, while it is between 10 and 25 years for second-degree murder, but Brittain's lawyer has asked a judge to impose concurrent sentences so his client would be eligible for parole in his early 90s.

MORE National ARTICLES

N.S. First Nation launches lobster fleet

N.S. First Nation launches lobster fleet
A Canadian Coast Guard vessel was spotted offshore, but a federal spokeswoman later said there were no reports of violence on the water.

N.S. First Nation launches lobster fleet

WATCH: Early Election For BC a possibility

WATCH: Early Election For BC a possibility
WATCH: It’s a trick or a treat for the BC NDP as the possibility of an early provincial election looms for British Columbians.

WATCH: Early Election For BC a possibility

Virtual health care here to stay

Virtual health care here to stay
Patient advocates describe the shift as a double-edged sword, saying the increased health-care access that remote care can provide is often countered by drawbacks that place seniors, disabled Canadians and other marginalized communities at greater risk of harm.

Virtual health care here to stay

Mourners grieve Traynor family killed in shooting

Mourners grieve Traynor family killed in shooting
Fifty-year-old Chris Traynor and the couple's children, 20-year-old Bradley Traynor, 15-year-old Adelaide Traynor and 11-year-old Joseph Traynor were killed in their home earlier this month.

Mourners grieve Traynor family killed in shooting

Surrey's Anti Gang Task Force traffic stop leads to seizure of vehicle and cash worth over $50K

Surrey's Anti Gang Task Force traffic stop leads to seizure of vehicle and cash worth over $50K
As the investigation advanced, police located numerous bundles of bulk cash, estimated to exceed $50,000, and packages of suspected steroids, inside the vehicle.

Surrey's Anti Gang Task Force traffic stop leads to seizure of vehicle and cash worth over $50K

Canada needs rapid tests now: O'Toole

Canada needs rapid tests now: O'Toole
O'Toole and his family were tested Thursday for COVID-19 through a program for MPs, after waiting for several hours to be tested in Ottawa Wednesday and having to give up.

Canada needs rapid tests now: O'Toole