Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Oct, 2020 08:47 PM
  • Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

A man who pleaded guilty to murdering four people in Penticton, B.C., tearfully apologized to the victims' families, saying he shattered their lives when he decided to shoot the victims.

John Brittain pleaded guilty Wednesday to three counts of first-degree murder and one charge of second-degree murder and told police when he turned himself in that the people he killed had harassed his ex-wife for years.

The B.C. Supreme Court heard the 69-year-old man murdered Rudi Winter, Barry and Susan Wonch, and Darlene Knippelberg on April 15, 2019, shooting each of them multiple times.

Brittain told the court during his sentencing hearing that he is sorry for the devastation he caused his former wife, the City of Penticton and its residents, as well as police officers who responded to the carnage he caused.

He says he doesn't understand why he did what he did and the images he sees in his head will torment him for the rest of his life.

Parole eligibility for first-degree murder is set at 25 years, while it is between 10 and 25 years for second-degree murder, but Brittain's lawyer has asked a judge to impose concurrent sentences so his client would be eligible for parole in his early 90s.

MORE National ARTICLES

Study hints antibody drug may cut COVID-19 hospitalizations

Study hints antibody drug may cut COVID-19 hospitalizations
The company said it would talk with regulators about possible next steps but that it was too soon to speculate on whether these interim results might lead to any action to allow early use.

Study hints antibody drug may cut COVID-19 hospitalizations

Lobster protests: N.S. MP demands action

Lobster protests: N.S. MP demands action
On Tuesday, hundreds of non-Indigenous commercial fishermen staged protests at two wharfs in southwestern Nova Scotia, alleging illegal fishing in St. Marys Bay.

Lobster protests: N.S. MP demands action

N.B. murder trial on hold until Tuesday

N.B. murder trial on hold until Tuesday
Raymond faces four counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Fredericton Police constables Robb Costello and Sara Burns as well as civilians Donnie Robichaud and Bobbie Lee Wright, on Aug. 10, 2018.

N.B. murder trial on hold until Tuesday

Young people need better distancing rules: experts

Young people need better distancing rules: experts
According to the federal government's weekly epidemiology update, the number of new cases nationally increased by 26 per cent during the week of Aug. 30 to Sept. 5.

Young people need better distancing rules: experts

August inflation rate holds steady at 0.1%

August inflation rate holds steady at 0.1%
The average economist estimate had been for a year-over-year increase of 0.4 per cent for August, according to financial markets data firm Refinitiv.

August inflation rate holds steady at 0.1%

Details released on $19B in anti-COVID-19 funding

Details released on $19B in anti-COVID-19 funding
Cases of COVID-19 have been on the rise across the country for the past several weeks.

Details released on $19B in anti-COVID-19 funding