Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Oct, 2020 08:47 PM
  • Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

A man who pleaded guilty to murdering four people in Penticton, B.C., tearfully apologized to the victims' families, saying he shattered their lives when he decided to shoot the victims.

John Brittain pleaded guilty Wednesday to three counts of first-degree murder and one charge of second-degree murder and told police when he turned himself in that the people he killed had harassed his ex-wife for years.

The B.C. Supreme Court heard the 69-year-old man murdered Rudi Winter, Barry and Susan Wonch, and Darlene Knippelberg on April 15, 2019, shooting each of them multiple times.

Brittain told the court during his sentencing hearing that he is sorry for the devastation he caused his former wife, the City of Penticton and its residents, as well as police officers who responded to the carnage he caused.

He says he doesn't understand why he did what he did and the images he sees in his head will torment him for the rest of his life.

Parole eligibility for first-degree murder is set at 25 years, while it is between 10 and 25 years for second-degree murder, but Brittain's lawyer has asked a judge to impose concurrent sentences so his client would be eligible for parole in his early 90s.

MORE National ARTICLES

Greens 'absolutely up' for snap election: new leader

Greens 'absolutely up' for snap election: new leader
She replaces Andrew Weaver, who stepped aside in January to sit as an Independent in the legislature.

Greens 'absolutely up' for snap election: new leader

Surrey RCMP say recent shooting in the city linked to gang conflict

Surrey RCMP say recent shooting in the city linked to gang conflict
Police are investigating a shooting last night in the 12900 block of 65A Avenue. Indications are that this is a targeted incident related to the ongoing Lower Mainland gang conflict.

Surrey RCMP say recent shooting in the city linked to gang conflict

Suspects charged in the Assault of an Abbotsford Police Officer on Sept 11,2020

Suspects charged in the Assault of an Abbotsford Police Officer on Sept 11,2020
The suspects have been identified as Andrew Edmunds and John Moon. Both Moon and Edmunds have been charged with Theft, Disguise with Intent to Commit an Indictable Offence, and Assault a Peace Officer with a Weapon.

Suspects charged in the Assault of an Abbotsford Police Officer on Sept 11,2020

Continued confidence in Surrey’s residential building sector

Continued confidence in Surrey’s residential building sector
Projects of note include several apartment towers ranging from 26 to 49-storeys, three dedicated rental apartment buildings, and a live/work residential townhome project.

Continued confidence in Surrey’s residential building sector

No plans to cut military spending: Sajjan

No plans to cut military spending: Sajjan
The fears are based on past feel: the Canadian Armed Forces was previously hit by deep cuts when Ottawa struggled to balance the books in both the 1990s and early 2010s.

No plans to cut military spending: Sajjan

Kenney remains hopeful for cross-Canada oil pipeline

Kenney remains hopeful for cross-Canada oil pipeline
Jason Kenney said Tuesday that the proposed cross-Canada oil pipeline isn't being considered because the federal Liberal government helped to kill it in 2017.

Kenney remains hopeful for cross-Canada oil pipeline