Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Oct, 2020 08:47 PM
  • Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

A man who pleaded guilty to murdering four people in Penticton, B.C., tearfully apologized to the victims' families, saying he shattered their lives when he decided to shoot the victims.

John Brittain pleaded guilty Wednesday to three counts of first-degree murder and one charge of second-degree murder and told police when he turned himself in that the people he killed had harassed his ex-wife for years.

The B.C. Supreme Court heard the 69-year-old man murdered Rudi Winter, Barry and Susan Wonch, and Darlene Knippelberg on April 15, 2019, shooting each of them multiple times.

Brittain told the court during his sentencing hearing that he is sorry for the devastation he caused his former wife, the City of Penticton and its residents, as well as police officers who responded to the carnage he caused.

He says he doesn't understand why he did what he did and the images he sees in his head will torment him for the rest of his life.

Parole eligibility for first-degree murder is set at 25 years, while it is between 10 and 25 years for second-degree murder, but Brittain's lawyer has asked a judge to impose concurrent sentences so his client would be eligible for parole in his early 90s.

MORE National ARTICLES

Health experts criticize Canada's vaccine buys

Health experts criticize Canada's vaccine buys
COVAX is aimed at averting a scramble by individual countries to secure vaccines for their own populations, often by pre-buying doses directly from pharmaceutical companies.

Health experts criticize Canada's vaccine buys

Energy sector seeks reassurance in throne speech

Energy sector seeks reassurance in throne speech
Earlier this year Ottawa scaled back the requirements of the standard over the first few years to give companies more time to recover from the economic crisis caused by COVID-19, but McMillan says that is not enough.

Energy sector seeks reassurance in throne speech

Toronto to open centre for those with COVID

Toronto to open centre for those with COVID
Health Minister Patty Hajdu said Friday the federal government is providing $13.9 million to Toronto Public Health — enough to operate the 140-room isolation centre that opens this weekend for the next 12 months.

Toronto to open centre for those with COVID

Victims of ex-senator deserve better: lawyer

Victims of ex-senator deserve better: lawyer
The evaluator had been tasked to speak with six former employees in Meredith's office and review all materials from a four-year investigation by the Senate ethics officer.

Victims of ex-senator deserve better: lawyer

Ex-Liberal MP charged with fraud, breach of trust

Ex-Liberal MP charged with fraud, breach of trust
They allege the former MP for Brampton East took millions of dollars in personal loans without telling the federal ethics commissioner, and that he used his political position to solicit those loans.

Ex-Liberal MP charged with fraud, breach of trust

Gang leader to be sentenced in Surrey Six case

Gang leader to be sentenced in Surrey Six case
Jamie Bacon pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to murder Corey Lal in the so-called Surrey Six case.

Gang leader to be sentenced in Surrey Six case