Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Oct, 2020 08:47 PM
  • Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

A man who pleaded guilty to murdering four people in Penticton, B.C., tearfully apologized to the victims' families, saying he shattered their lives when he decided to shoot the victims.

John Brittain pleaded guilty Wednesday to three counts of first-degree murder and one charge of second-degree murder and told police when he turned himself in that the people he killed had harassed his ex-wife for years.

The B.C. Supreme Court heard the 69-year-old man murdered Rudi Winter, Barry and Susan Wonch, and Darlene Knippelberg on April 15, 2019, shooting each of them multiple times.

Brittain told the court during his sentencing hearing that he is sorry for the devastation he caused his former wife, the City of Penticton and its residents, as well as police officers who responded to the carnage he caused.

He says he doesn't understand why he did what he did and the images he sees in his head will torment him for the rest of his life.

Parole eligibility for first-degree murder is set at 25 years, while it is between 10 and 25 years for second-degree murder, but Brittain's lawyer has asked a judge to impose concurrent sentences so his client would be eligible for parole in his early 90s.

MORE National ARTICLES

WE shutdown won't silence controversy

WE shutdown won't silence controversy
Two months before the government gave the contract to WE in late June, Angus notes that the organization had laid off hundreds of staff and replaced almost its entire board of directors, which had been denied access to the charity's financial reports.

WE shutdown won't silence controversy

Doctor's libel case can proceed: top court

Doctor's libel case can proceed: top court
The case began when medical doctor Howard Platnick was hired in 2014 to help assess a claim related to an auto accident on behalf of an insurer.

Doctor's libel case can proceed: top court

Ford calls federal quarantine system 'broken'

Ford calls federal quarantine system 'broken'
Essential workers must not work with anyone over the age of 65 for at least two weeks, and must wear masks if they can't physically distance from others.

Ford calls federal quarantine system 'broken'

Morneau broke election law: commissioner

Morneau broke election law: commissioner
The commissioner of Canada elections says before the 2019 federal election, Morneau pumped up two prospective Liberal candidates who were attending separate events he headlined as finance minister.

Morneau broke election law: commissioner

PBO probes rising costs for federal workers

PBO probes rising costs for federal workers
In dollars, spending rose from $30.6 billion in fiscal year 2006-2007 to $46.1 billion in the fiscal year that closed in March 2019.

PBO probes rising costs for federal workers

Two men wanted for alleged stabbing in Shuswap

Two men wanted for alleged stabbing in Shuswap
On the night of Aug. 16, the RCMP say a man who had been stabbed several times showed up at someone's door asking for help in Blind Bay, north of Salmon Arm.

Two men wanted for alleged stabbing in Shuswap