Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mark Carney calls alleged privacy breach in Alberta deeply concerning

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 May, 2026 08:59 AM
  • Mark Carney calls alleged privacy breach in Alberta deeply concerning

An Edmonton city councillor says he and his team are helping a woman facing intimate partner violence relocate with her children after her address was leaked in an alleged privacy breach by a separatist group.

The councillor says he is also hearing from others whose safety and lives have been affected after the group, called The Centurion Project, publicly distributed a list naming nearly three million electors in Alberta and their addresses. Elections Alberta is probing the matter.

"(I feel) deep, deep concern, and anger," said Aaron Paquette, who represents the Dene ward in Edmonton's northeast, in a Sunday phone interview.

"There are so many other people whose stories match this (woman's) and people need to know that they're not alone, and other people who are not experiencing this need to know how devastating it is."

He said his office has advised the woman to contact police. She had to figure out how to break her lease agreement and find a new accommodation over the weekend, the councillor said.

"Can you imagine the stress that this woman is going through," he asked.

"As a parent I feel extremely emotional about this."

Prime Minister Mark Carney called the alleged privacy breach deeply concerning in a weekend statement.

"I expect Elections Alberta and the RCMP to work thoroughly and expeditiously to assess the causes and to pursue appropriate actions against those responsible," he said.

"We must be constantly vigilant to protect the rights of Canadians and the integrity of our democratic processes."

Last week, Elections Alberta announced it is investigating the Centurion Project after it published the list through an app.

The app was taken down Thursday after Elections Alberta got a judge to grant an injunction ordering the group shut it down.

The Centurion Project has since said it will comply with Elections Alberta's investigation, which, among other things, is looking into how the group got a hold of the list.

Lawyers for Elections Alberta told the injunction hearing that investigators determined the database matched a voter list legally provided to the Republican Party of Alberta, a pro-independence party, last summer. 

They said it was still unclear whether the party passed on the list to The Centurion Project or if the list had been obtained through other means.

Such voter lists are only distributed by Elections Alberta to elected officials, political parties and party officials. Provincial law dictates that it can only be used to solicit donations, recruit party members and communicate with electors.

Paquette said this massive privacy breach, like others, has serious consequences.

"Any bad action is a bad action no matter how many times someone else has engaged in it."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada's top doctor Theresa Tam leaving position when term ends June 20

Canada's top doctor Theresa Tam leaving position when term ends June 20
Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam is leaving her position at the end of next week.

Canada's top doctor Theresa Tam leaving position when term ends June 20

London-bound Air India flight with more than 240 aboard crashes after takeoff from Ahmedabad, India

London-bound Air India flight with more than 240 aboard crashes after takeoff from Ahmedabad, India
AHMEDABAD, India (AP) — An Air India passenger plane bound for London with more than 240 people on board including one Canadian crashed Thursday in India’s northwestern city of Ahmedabad, and there were no known survivors, officials said.

London-bound Air India flight with more than 240 aboard crashes after takeoff from Ahmedabad, India

Sikh groups ask Carney to withdraw Indian PM Modi's invitation to G7 summit

Sikh groups ask Carney to withdraw Indian PM Modi's invitation to G7 summit
Sikh groups are calling on Prime Minister Mark Carney to revoke his invitation to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to attend the G7 summit in Alberta next week.

Sikh groups ask Carney to withdraw Indian PM Modi's invitation to G7 summit

Crown continues closing submissions in hockey players' sex assault trial

Crown continues closing submissions in hockey players' sex assault trial
Prosecutors in the sexual assault trial of five hockey players argue that offering sex can be a form of appeasement and a normal response in a "highly stressful, unpredictable event."

Crown continues closing submissions in hockey players' sex assault trial

The 2025 wildfire season is on track to be Canada's 2nd-worst on record

The 2025 wildfire season is on track to be Canada's 2nd-worst on record
The area burned by wildfires so far this season is the second-largest on record in Canada, according to government data.

The 2025 wildfire season is on track to be Canada's 2nd-worst on record

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien
Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien