Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mark Carney calls alleged privacy breach in Alberta deeply concerning

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 May, 2026 08:59 AM
  • Mark Carney calls alleged privacy breach in Alberta deeply concerning

An Edmonton city councillor says he and his team are helping a woman facing intimate partner violence relocate with her children after her address was leaked in an alleged privacy breach by a separatist group.

The councillor says he is also hearing from others whose safety and lives have been affected after the group, called The Centurion Project, publicly distributed a list naming nearly three million electors in Alberta and their addresses. Elections Alberta is probing the matter.

"(I feel) deep, deep concern, and anger," said Aaron Paquette, who represents the Dene ward in Edmonton's northeast, in a Sunday phone interview.

"There are so many other people whose stories match this (woman's) and people need to know that they're not alone, and other people who are not experiencing this need to know how devastating it is."

He said his office has advised the woman to contact police. She had to figure out how to break her lease agreement and find a new accommodation over the weekend, the councillor said.

"Can you imagine the stress that this woman is going through," he asked.

"As a parent I feel extremely emotional about this."

Prime Minister Mark Carney called the alleged privacy breach deeply concerning in a weekend statement.

"I expect Elections Alberta and the RCMP to work thoroughly and expeditiously to assess the causes and to pursue appropriate actions against those responsible," he said.

"We must be constantly vigilant to protect the rights of Canadians and the integrity of our democratic processes."

Last week, Elections Alberta announced it is investigating the Centurion Project after it published the list through an app.

The app was taken down Thursday after Elections Alberta got a judge to grant an injunction ordering the group shut it down.

The Centurion Project has since said it will comply with Elections Alberta's investigation, which, among other things, is looking into how the group got a hold of the list.

Lawyers for Elections Alberta told the injunction hearing that investigators determined the database matched a voter list legally provided to the Republican Party of Alberta, a pro-independence party, last summer. 

They said it was still unclear whether the party passed on the list to The Centurion Project or if the list had been obtained through other means.

Such voter lists are only distributed by Elections Alberta to elected officials, political parties and party officials. Provincial law dictates that it can only be used to solicit donations, recruit party members and communicate with electors.

Paquette said this massive privacy breach, like others, has serious consequences.

"Any bad action is a bad action no matter how many times someone else has engaged in it."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Business leader says BC Ferries' hiring of Chinese shipyard is 'informed decision'

Business leader says BC Ferries' hiring of Chinese shipyard is 'informed decision'
A business leader on ferry-dependent Vancouver Island says BC Ferries made a "strongly informed decision" in hiring a Chinese shipyard to build four new major vessels.

Business leader says BC Ferries' hiring of Chinese shipyard is 'informed decision'

Alberta premier says province is looking to entice private-sector pipeline builder

Alberta premier says province is looking to entice private-sector pipeline builder
The Alberta government is working to entice a private-sector player to build a major crude pipeline to coastal waters, Premier Danielle Smith said Wednesday. 

Alberta premier says province is looking to entice private-sector pipeline builder

Former MP Charlie Angus says NDP became too focused on leader, TikTok likes

Former MP Charlie Angus says NDP became too focused on leader, TikTok likes
The NDP suffered an "unmitigated disaster" in the last election because it lost touch with its grassroots and became too "leader-focused," former MP Charlie Angus said Wednesday.

Former MP Charlie Angus says NDP became too focused on leader, TikTok likes

Prosecutors make final pitch to judge in hockey players' sex assault trial

Prosecutors make final pitch to judge in hockey players' sex assault trial
Crown prosecutors argue a woman accusing five hockey players of sexual assault did not voluntarily agree to the sexual acts that took place in a London, Ont., hotel room, nor did the players take reasonable steps to confirm her consent.

Prosecutors make final pitch to judge in hockey players' sex assault trial

Sabia, veteran of public and private sectors, to head Carney's Privy Council

Sabia, veteran of public and private sectors, to head Carney's Privy Council
Prime Minister Mark Carney is tapping Michael Sabia, a veteran of the public and private sector, to head up the Privy Council Office in Ottawa.

Sabia, veteran of public and private sectors, to head Carney's Privy Council

Auditor general finds F-35 costs soar amid project delays, pilot shortages

Auditor general finds F-35 costs soar amid project delays, pilot shortages
The estimated cost of Canada’s incoming fleet of advanced stealth fighters exploded by nearly 50 per cent in just a few years, auditor general Karen Hogan said Tuesday in a new report.

Auditor general finds F-35 costs soar amid project delays, pilot shortages