Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Sep, 2024 02:56 PM
  • Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

The union says it was informed through the mediator that Transdev won't be able to meet and provide a counterproposal until Sept. 12, while the ATU says it was willing to negotiate around the clock.

It says it plans to hold a rally this Tuesday in front of the office of TransLink,  the agency responsible for transit in Metro Vancouver.

HandyDART workers walked off the job last week to fight for a fair contract after turning down Transdev’s last contract offer. 

It offers door-to-door service to people who are unable to navigate the conventional transit system, but the strike has brought an end to all service with the exception of some essential medical trips.

Local union president Joe McCann had said the union was cautiously optimistic a deal could be done ahead of Sunday's mediated talks with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes."

As the negotiations continue, longtime HandyDART users are also watching closely. 

Lynn Johnston says she relies HandyDART for most of her transportation needs, and she has been taking conventional transit to attend her doctor appointments due to the strike which has been "a horrible experience." 

Johnston says her heart goes out to many customers who have been left stranded at home by the strike, and she also hopes the mediated talks can bring about a "fair resolution" for the drivers who work hard and genuinely care about their customers. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Federal government releases new draft regulations on clean electricity

Federal government releases new draft regulations on clean electricity
Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault released draft regulations Thursday that are designed to clean Canada's electricity grid in an affordable way by 2035. The regulations would drive up the cost of energy slightly, but federal officials say that would be offset by the savings expected to come from moving away from fossil fuels. 

Federal government releases new draft regulations on clean electricity

Vancouver fire service cites butane torch lighters as fire incidents hit record high

Vancouver fire service cites butane torch lighters as fire incidents hit record high
The fire service says in a statement that the leading cause of fires remains discarded smoking materials including matches, lighters, candles, cigarettes, and drug paraphernalia, causing nearly 60 per cent of all incidents. The fire service says it's also worried about more fires occurring in single-room occupancy buildings, as well as a notable spike in outdoor fires. 

Vancouver fire service cites butane torch lighters as fire incidents hit record high

Minister launches review of B.C. port strike case to uncover 'structural issues'

Minister launches review of B.C. port strike case to uncover 'structural issues'
Federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan is launching an examination of the recently resolved British Columbia port dispute to see if "structural issues" in negotiations led to a 13-day work stoppage. In a written statement released through social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, O'Regan says officials will immediately begin by reviewing reports on previous, similar disputes.

Minister launches review of B.C. port strike case to uncover 'structural issues'

Firefighter Zak Muise's family grateful for support before Penticton, B.C., memorial

Firefighter Zak Muise's family grateful for support before Penticton, B.C., memorial
The memorial service and a procession are being held today in Penticton home base of the firefighting contractor that Muise worked for. RCMP say Muise, 25, from Waterford, Ont., died on July 28 when his heavy-duty ATV rolled over a steep drop on a gravel road in a remote area about 150 kilometres north of Fort St. John.

Firefighter Zak Muise's family grateful for support before Penticton, B.C., memorial

Police using social media accounts as Meta begins blocking news for Canadians

Police using social media accounts as Meta begins blocking news for Canadians
Saskatchewan RCMP say Meta's decision to remove news links from Facebook and Instagram will affect the way they relay information.  In the coming weeks, police forces won't be able to count on local news popping up in people's social media feeds as they scroll.

Police using social media accounts as Meta begins blocking news for Canadians

Banff Gondola guest says company didn't appear to have a plan when it broke down

Banff Gondola guest says company didn't appear to have a plan when it broke down
Pala Kovacs says she had finished taking photos of the couple, who had eloped in Banff that day, and they were planning to take the gondola back down when they heard it wasn't operating. Kovacs says she had her photography gear and the couple was in their wedding outfits, so they spent about 15 hours at the top until they could be helped off the mountain by helicopter the next morning.

Banff Gondola guest says company didn't appear to have a plan when it broke down