Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Sep, 2024 02:56 PM
  • Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

The union says it was informed through the mediator that Transdev won't be able to meet and provide a counterproposal until Sept. 12, while the ATU says it was willing to negotiate around the clock.

It says it plans to hold a rally this Tuesday in front of the office of TransLink,  the agency responsible for transit in Metro Vancouver.

HandyDART workers walked off the job last week to fight for a fair contract after turning down Transdev’s last contract offer. 

It offers door-to-door service to people who are unable to navigate the conventional transit system, but the strike has brought an end to all service with the exception of some essential medical trips.

Local union president Joe McCann had said the union was cautiously optimistic a deal could be done ahead of Sunday's mediated talks with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes."

As the negotiations continue, longtime HandyDART users are also watching closely. 

Lynn Johnston says she relies HandyDART for most of her transportation needs, and she has been taking conventional transit to attend her doctor appointments due to the strike which has been "a horrible experience." 

Johnston says her heart goes out to many customers who have been left stranded at home by the strike, and she also hopes the mediated talks can bring about a "fair resolution" for the drivers who work hard and genuinely care about their customers. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Cyclospora Outbreak in BC

Cyclospora Outbreak in BC
The B-C Centre for Disease Control says there have been a record high 43 cases of cyclospora infections in the province this year. The illness is from a parasite not found in Canada but the centre says infections are linked to eating contaminated, imported raw produce, especially leafy greens, fresh herbs and berries.

Cyclospora Outbreak in BC

More Osoyoos, B.C., wildfire evacuees can head home as another order lifts

More Osoyoos, B.C., wildfire evacuees can head home as another order lifts
An evacuation order that includes an industrial area in the town has been downgraded to an alert as the threat from the Eagle Bluff wildfire recedes, days after it threatened the town before favourable winds pushed it away. 

More Osoyoos, B.C., wildfire evacuees can head home as another order lifts

Extreme weather risk changing Canada's insurance industry, raising costs

Extreme weather risk changing Canada's insurance industry, raising costs
Statistics Canada's latest inflation report showed home insurance costs were up 8.2 per cent nationally in June, compared with one year earlier. Increases were about 10 per cent in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan, and nearly 12 per cent in Nova Scotia.

Extreme weather risk changing Canada's insurance industry, raising costs

Man's body found inside burned vehicle in Edmonton, police say

Man's body found inside burned vehicle in Edmonton, police say
Police say officers responded to a call around 12:30 a.m. Friday about a burning vehicle. They say that once the fire was extinguished, the body of a man was found inside. Police say the death is considered suspicious.  

Man's body found inside burned vehicle in Edmonton, police say

Man dies of stabbing in Downtown

Man dies of stabbing in Downtown
Officers responded to Granville and Smithe just before 3:30 this morning for a report that a man had been stabbed. The 32-year-old victim was rushed to hospital by paramedics, but died from his injuries.  

Man dies of stabbing in Downtown

Telus slashes 6000 jobs

Telus slashes 6000 jobs
Vancouver-based Telecom giant Telus is reporting a dismal second quarter and it's responding by cutting six-thousand jobs -- just under six per cent of its workforce. Telus says four-thousand jobs will be cut from its main operations while a further two-thousand jobs will be trimmed at Telus International.  

Telus slashes 6000 jobs