Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Sep, 2024 02:56 PM
  • Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

The union says it was informed through the mediator that Transdev won't be able to meet and provide a counterproposal until Sept. 12, while the ATU says it was willing to negotiate around the clock.

It says it plans to hold a rally this Tuesday in front of the office of TransLink,  the agency responsible for transit in Metro Vancouver.

HandyDART workers walked off the job last week to fight for a fair contract after turning down Transdev’s last contract offer. 

It offers door-to-door service to people who are unable to navigate the conventional transit system, but the strike has brought an end to all service with the exception of some essential medical trips.

Local union president Joe McCann had said the union was cautiously optimistic a deal could be done ahead of Sunday's mediated talks with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes."

As the negotiations continue, longtime HandyDART users are also watching closely. 

Lynn Johnston says she relies HandyDART for most of her transportation needs, and she has been taking conventional transit to attend her doctor appointments due to the strike which has been "a horrible experience." 

Johnston says her heart goes out to many customers who have been left stranded at home by the strike, and she also hopes the mediated talks can bring about a "fair resolution" for the drivers who work hard and genuinely care about their customers. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau names new cabinet, shifting focus to economy, housing ahead of next election

Trudeau names new cabinet, shifting focus to economy, housing ahead of next election
Two-thirds of cabinet portfolios have switched hands, with seven rookie ministers coming in to replace the seven ministers who are leaving. Five of the new ministers represent constituencies in Ontario, one is from British Columbia and one from Quebec.  

Trudeau names new cabinet, shifting focus to economy, housing ahead of next election

2 new mass-timber courses to start at BCIT

2 new mass-timber courses to start at BCIT
Two new mass-timber courses are slated to begin in the fall at the British Columbia Institute of Technology. In addition, the province is providing 3.3-million-dollars to the school for the creation of a mass-timber training hub at B-C-I-T's Burnaby campus.

2 new mass-timber courses to start at BCIT

Prince George RCMP shooting leaves one injured

Prince George RCMP shooting leaves one injured
Mounties say it happened on Sunday morning at a home on Lalonde Road and that it was a targeted incident. They say surveillance footage shows a dark-coloured, extended cab pickup leaving the home at the time of the shooting.  

Prince George RCMP shooting leaves one injured

Surrey Council approves contract to build new Strawberry Hill Community Hall

Surrey Council approves contract to build new Strawberry Hill Community Hall
During the Regular Council Meeting on Monday, Surrey Council voted in favour of a $2.53M contract to build a new Strawberry Hill Community Hall. In 2021, a fire destroyed the historic Strawberry Hill Hall that was currently under construction as part of a $1.2M rehabilitation project that would have seen areas built for childcare and community rentals. 

Surrey Council approves contract to build new Strawberry Hill Community Hall

Man violently robbed in home invasion

Man violently robbed in home invasion
The two suspects forced entry into the victim’s suite near East Hastings and Gore on July 5. They violently beat him and stole his various possessions. The victim was taken to hospital for his injuries. VPD patrol officers and detectives from VPD’s Major Crime Section launched an investigation immediately.

Man violently robbed in home invasion

Attempted murder charges laid in Surrey shooting

Attempted murder charges laid in Surrey shooting
Surrey R-C-M-P say their suspect was picked up in Calgary last Friday and remains in custody in Surrey, awaiting his next court date on August 10th. Several weapons offences have also been laid after shots were fired at a vehicle in the Newton area, injuring the occupant, who survived.

Attempted murder charges laid in Surrey shooting