Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Sep, 2024 02:56 PM
  • Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

The union says it was informed through the mediator that Transdev won't be able to meet and provide a counterproposal until Sept. 12, while the ATU says it was willing to negotiate around the clock.

It says it plans to hold a rally this Tuesday in front of the office of TransLink,  the agency responsible for transit in Metro Vancouver.

HandyDART workers walked off the job last week to fight for a fair contract after turning down Transdev’s last contract offer. 

It offers door-to-door service to people who are unable to navigate the conventional transit system, but the strike has brought an end to all service with the exception of some essential medical trips.

Local union president Joe McCann had said the union was cautiously optimistic a deal could be done ahead of Sunday's mediated talks with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes."

As the negotiations continue, longtime HandyDART users are also watching closely. 

Lynn Johnston says she relies HandyDART for most of her transportation needs, and she has been taking conventional transit to attend her doctor appointments due to the strike which has been "a horrible experience." 

Johnston says her heart goes out to many customers who have been left stranded at home by the strike, and she also hopes the mediated talks can bring about a "fair resolution" for the drivers who work hard and genuinely care about their customers. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Edmonton man appears in U.K. court after terrorism investigation

Edmonton man appears in U.K. court after terrorism investigation
Khaled Hussein, who is 28, was charged under the Terrorism Act for allegedly being a member of a proscribed organization in the U.K. He was arrested at London's Heathrow Airport last week.

Edmonton man appears in U.K. court after terrorism investigation

Edmonton mayor announces funding to plant 1.5 million trees, expand urban canopy

Edmonton mayor announces funding to plant 1.5 million trees, expand urban canopy
Amarjeet Sohi says $47.8 million is coming from the federal 2 Billion Trees program and the amount is being matched by the city. Sohi says the money will allow Edmonton to expand its tree-planting efforts and bring it closer to its goal of being a "healthy and climate-resilient city."

Edmonton mayor announces funding to plant 1.5 million trees, expand urban canopy

Mental health minister puts $156M toward launch of 988 crisis hotline in November

Mental health minister puts $156M toward launch of 988 crisis hotline in November
The government is putting $156 million over three years toward a new three-digit suicide-prevention hotline, Mental Health Minister Carolyn Bennett announced Monday. Starting on Nov. 30, people in crisis will be able to dial 988 anywhere in Canada to be connected with trained responders 24 hours a day by phone or text message.

Mental health minister puts $156M toward launch of 988 crisis hotline in November

B.C. government announces new programs, police standards for sexual assault

B.C. government announces new programs, police standards for sexual assault
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says survivors deserve to be treated fairly after going through trauma and shielded from further harm, and the new standards and programs will "empower" those people.  The province says the funding for the new programs kicks in this month, while new policing standards coupling investigators with victims services workers will begin next year, applying to all B.C. police officers. 

B.C. government announces new programs, police standards for sexual assault

RCMP say body found of one of four people missing in Nova Scotia floods

RCMP say body found of one of four people missing in Nova Scotia floods
RCMP in Nova Scotia say they have found the body of one of the people who went missing over the weekend during massive flooding across the province. Police say they recovered the body of a 52-year-old man.

RCMP say body found of one of four people missing in Nova Scotia floods

Canada hailed for focusing foreign aid on women's rights amid global backslide

Canada hailed for focusing foreign aid on women's rights amid global backslide
Ottawa announced projects to support people working in the caring economy at a major foreign-aid conference focused on women's advancement. International Development Minister Harjit Sajjan also offered details at the Women Deliver conference in Rwanda about how $200 million in previously announced funding would be allocated.

Canada hailed for focusing foreign aid on women's rights amid global backslide