Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Sep, 2024 02:56 PM
  • Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

The union says it was informed through the mediator that Transdev won't be able to meet and provide a counterproposal until Sept. 12, while the ATU says it was willing to negotiate around the clock.

It says it plans to hold a rally this Tuesday in front of the office of TransLink,  the agency responsible for transit in Metro Vancouver.

HandyDART workers walked off the job last week to fight for a fair contract after turning down Transdev’s last contract offer. 

It offers door-to-door service to people who are unable to navigate the conventional transit system, but the strike has brought an end to all service with the exception of some essential medical trips.

Local union president Joe McCann had said the union was cautiously optimistic a deal could be done ahead of Sunday's mediated talks with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes."

As the negotiations continue, longtime HandyDART users are also watching closely. 

Lynn Johnston says she relies HandyDART for most of her transportation needs, and she has been taking conventional transit to attend her doctor appointments due to the strike which has been "a horrible experience." 

Johnston says her heart goes out to many customers who have been left stranded at home by the strike, and she also hopes the mediated talks can bring about a "fair resolution" for the drivers who work hard and genuinely care about their customers. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Facebook rental scams: Surrey RCMP

Facebook rental scams: Surrey RCMP
Mounties say scammers advertise a property and explain that a deposit is required to secure the property due to high demand. Communication with the renter usually ends once an e-transfer of funds is sent and without the rental property being seen.

Facebook rental scams: Surrey RCMP

Vehicle crashes into Surrey home

Vehicle crashes into Surrey home
 The driver, a 21-year-old man, was arrested for Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle and Flight from Police. He was treated on scene for minor injuries and released to appear in court at a later date.  Speed and dangerous driving were contributing factors in the collision. 

Vehicle crashes into Surrey home

Missing person to locate Robanpreet Singh

Missing person to locate Robanpreet Singh
Robanpreet was last seen on July 9, 2023 at his residence in Surrey. Police and family are concerned for Robanpreet’s health and well-being as it is out of character for Robanpreet to be out of contact for this long. If you see Robanpreet, keep him in sight and call police.

Missing person to locate Robanpreet Singh

B.C. expected to request Ottawa's help with worsening wildfires: minister

B.C. expected to request Ottawa's help with worsening wildfires: minister
Bill Blair tells The Canadian Press the government operations centre has been in discussions with the province for the last several days, and Ottawa is ready to deploy needed resources as the formal request for help is expected Thursday.

B.C. expected to request Ottawa's help with worsening wildfires: minister

BC man gets 9 years for shooting

BC man gets 9 years for shooting
A B-C man has been sentenced to nine years in prison for fatally shooting a woman in Surrey two years ago, and for an unrelated robbery two months earlier. The 26-year-old pleaded guilty to manslaughter for killing a 20-year-old sex worker in May 2021, and to a robbery and a weapons charge for holding up a poker game in Burnaby in March that same year.

BC man gets 9 years for shooting

Decision postponed in Amanda Todd case

Decision postponed in Amanda Todd case
Dutch judges have been considering how to convert the 13-year sentence imposed on Aydin Coban by a B-C court into a term that meshes with the Dutch legal system -- and it's possible he could serve about 4-and-a-half years for his crimes against Amanda Todd.   

Decision postponed in Amanda Todd case