Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Methane-reduction fund getting overhaul: Wilkinson

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Jan, 2022 03:41 PM
  • Methane-reduction fund getting overhaul: Wilkinson

OTTAWA - Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson is overhauling a methane-reduction program that the environment commissioner slammed last fall as poorly designed and a waste of money.

The third round of applications for the $675-million onshore program of the Emissions Reduction Fund was initially set to close today, but it has been put on hold while Wilkinson's department tries to address some of those concerns.

The program offers loans of up to $50 million to help oil and gas producers meet or exceed regulations enforcing cuts to their methane emissions.

The first two rounds resulted in $134 million in funding for 81 projects by 26 companies.

In an audit of the first round, Environment Commissioner Jerry DeMarco criticized the program as wasteful and inefficient, with sketchy claims on emissions that were being cut and no evidence the projects would not have gone ahead without the program.

Wilkinson intends to change the eligibility criteria so that funds would only go to projects that fully eliminate venting or flaring of methane from oil and gas installations and that help companies go above and beyond what is required by new methane regulations.

MORE National ARTICLES

Abbotsford Police need public's assistance in locating Chamkaur Singh Maan wanted for sexual assault

Abbotsford Police need public's assistance in locating Chamkaur Singh Maan wanted for sexual assault
He is South Asian, 41 years old, is 5ft 5 inches tall and weighs 281 Lbs. He has short dark hair and brown eyes.  Mann is known to the frequent the Clearbrook area. 

Abbotsford Police need public's assistance in locating Chamkaur Singh Maan wanted for sexual assault

Third hospital in B.C. declares COVID outbreak

Third hospital in B.C. declares COVID outbreak
There have been four more deaths in the province, including three in the Northern Health area, where the health minister has said the vaccination rate is lower than the rest of the province.

Third hospital in B.C. declares COVID outbreak

Incoming army commander under investigation

Incoming army commander under investigation
Cadieu was recently promoted and a ceremony to install him as head of the army was slated for Sept. 7. A 29-year veteran of the military, Cadieu previously served in Bosnia and Afghanistan before most recently providing analysis and advice to the chief of the defence staff.

Incoming army commander under investigation

O'Toole grapples with immunization for MPs

O'Toole grapples with immunization for MPs
Mandatory immunization has been called for by the Liberals and Bloc Québécois, and supported by the NDP, as parties prepare for Parliament to resume following last month's federal election.

O'Toole grapples with immunization for MPs

605 COVID19 cases for BC

605 COVID19 cases for BC
There are 5,172 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 187,564 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 374 people are in hospital and 153 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.    

605 COVID19 cases for BC

B.C. spends $132 million on treatment services

B.C. spends $132 million on treatment services
Sheila Malcolmson, the province's minister of mental health and addictions, says the program will include 65 new or improved services, about 130 more staff and 195 new substance-use treatment beds.

B.C. spends $132 million on treatment services