Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Oct, 2020 08:17 PM
  • Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Lawyers say they are close to finalizing details that would allow a trial by Zoom for a man who killed 10 people when he drove a rental van down a busy Toronto sidewalk.

Alek Minassian faces 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder in connection with the April 2018 incident.

He appeared by video during a virtual court hearing Thursday morning, where the prosecution and defence said they were sorting out the logistics of holding the trial by the videoconference software.

Justice Anne Molloy said she is holding another trial by Zoom at the moment that could be a blueprint for Minassian's trial, which is set to begin on Nov. 9.

A recent decision by the Superior Court of Ontario's chief justice limits the number of people in a physical courtroom to 10 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Minassian's trial by judge alone was set to begin on April 6, but was postponed because of the pandemic.

In early March, Minassian admitted in court to planning and carrying out the attack. The judge has said the case will turn on Minassian's state of mind at the time of the attack, not whether he did it.

Minassian will next appear in court on Oct. 28.

MORE National ARTICLES

TikTok sale puts Canada between U.S., China

TikTok sale puts Canada between U.S., China
The potential sale of social media platform TikTok to Microsoft is leaving Canada with a sense of deja vu.

TikTok sale puts Canada between U.S., China

COVID app a help even in limited use: Tam

COVID app a help even in limited use: Tam
Answering criticism that the federal "COVID Alert" app only works on newer smartphones, Dr. Theresa Tam says it's one of many tools in fighting the novel coronavirus.

COVID app a help even in limited use: Tam

Evacuation alert for wildfire near Princeton, B.C.

Evacuation alert for wildfire near Princeton, B.C.
Residents of 43 properties in British Columbia's southern Interior have been told to be ready to leave on short notice as a wildfire flares nearby.

Evacuation alert for wildfire near Princeton, B.C.

Police identify human remains found in fire wreck

Police identify human remains found in fire wreck
Investigators have identified the remains found in a burned-out vehicle taken to a Burnaby, B.C., tow yard last week.

Police identify human remains found in fire wreck

Quebec police watchdog probes death of 29-year-old

Quebec police watchdog probes death of 29-year-old
Quebec's police watchdog is investigating the death of a 29-year-old man who allegedly fell from a balcony after he was arrested for shoplifting.

Quebec police watchdog probes death of 29-year-old

New EI-like benefit to replace CERB: PM

New EI-like benefit to replace CERB: PM
The federal government plans to move as many out-of-work Canadians into the employment insurance system when a key emergency benefit runs out in the fall, and provide an EI-like support for millions who can't qualify under existing rules.

New EI-like benefit to replace CERB: PM