Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Oct, 2020 08:17 PM
  • Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Lawyers say they are close to finalizing details that would allow a trial by Zoom for a man who killed 10 people when he drove a rental van down a busy Toronto sidewalk.

Alek Minassian faces 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder in connection with the April 2018 incident.

He appeared by video during a virtual court hearing Thursday morning, where the prosecution and defence said they were sorting out the logistics of holding the trial by the videoconference software.

Justice Anne Molloy said she is holding another trial by Zoom at the moment that could be a blueprint for Minassian's trial, which is set to begin on Nov. 9.

A recent decision by the Superior Court of Ontario's chief justice limits the number of people in a physical courtroom to 10 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Minassian's trial by judge alone was set to begin on April 6, but was postponed because of the pandemic.

In early March, Minassian admitted in court to planning and carrying out the attack. The judge has said the case will turn on Minassian's state of mind at the time of the attack, not whether he did it.

Minassian will next appear in court on Oct. 28.

MORE National ARTICLES

Inmate files human rights complaint over mental health

Inmate files human rights complaint over mental health
The death of her brother weighs on Prairie Crowe's mind. Nicholas Dinardo is alive, but behind bars.

Inmate files human rights complaint over mental health

Commissioner drops out of mass shooting inquiry

Commissioner drops out of mass shooting inquiry
One of the three people selected to lead the public inquiry into the Nova Scotia mass shooting has dropped out.

Commissioner drops out of mass shooting inquiry

COVID-19 alert app now available in Canada

COVID-19 alert app now available in Canada
Canadians can now begin downloading a voluntary smartphone app meant to warn users they've been near someone who tests positive for COVID-19.

COVID-19 alert app now available in Canada

Yukon records double OD deaths versus last year

Yukon records double OD deaths versus last year
The Yukon government is considering plans for a supervised injection site and a safer supply of drugs for substance users after 13 people fatally overdosed between January and mid-July, compared with six for all of last year.

Yukon records double OD deaths versus last year

Witnesses support U.S. claims on Meng: documents

Witnesses support U.S. claims on Meng: documents
Documents from lawyers for Canada's attorney general say a series of witnesses will prove Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou lied to HSBC bank about the company's relationship's with Skycom in Iran.

Witnesses support U.S. claims on Meng: documents

DARPAN 10 with Dr Bonnie Henry - BC's Top Doctor

DARPAN 10 with Dr Bonnie Henry - BC's Top Doctor
Many British Columbians have become severely ill and many others have lost their loved ones to COVID-19. This is a tragedy for all of us, and my colleagues and I feel this loss.

DARPAN 10 with Dr Bonnie Henry - BC's Top Doctor