Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Oct, 2020 08:17 PM
  • Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Lawyers say they are close to finalizing details that would allow a trial by Zoom for a man who killed 10 people when he drove a rental van down a busy Toronto sidewalk.

Alek Minassian faces 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder in connection with the April 2018 incident.

He appeared by video during a virtual court hearing Thursday morning, where the prosecution and defence said they were sorting out the logistics of holding the trial by the videoconference software.

Justice Anne Molloy said she is holding another trial by Zoom at the moment that could be a blueprint for Minassian's trial, which is set to begin on Nov. 9.

A recent decision by the Superior Court of Ontario's chief justice limits the number of people in a physical courtroom to 10 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Minassian's trial by judge alone was set to begin on April 6, but was postponed because of the pandemic.

In early March, Minassian admitted in court to planning and carrying out the attack. The judge has said the case will turn on Minassian's state of mind at the time of the attack, not whether he did it.

Minassian will next appear in court on Oct. 28.

MORE National ARTICLES

August inflation rate holds steady at 0.1%

August inflation rate holds steady at 0.1%
The average economist estimate had been for a year-over-year increase of 0.4 per cent for August, according to financial markets data firm Refinitiv.

August inflation rate holds steady at 0.1%

Details released on $19B in anti-COVID-19 funding

Details released on $19B in anti-COVID-19 funding
Cases of COVID-19 have been on the rise across the country for the past several weeks.

Details released on $19B in anti-COVID-19 funding

Canadian firefighters being redirected to Oregon

Canadian firefighters being redirected to Oregon
Alberta Wildfire says on Twitter that 45 firefighters from the province are headed to the state this week.

Canadian firefighters being redirected to Oregon

Not just feds in MMIW action plan: Marc Miller

Not just feds in MMIW action plan: Marc Miller
The call on the federal government to act "was only part of the puzzle," Miller said today as cabinet members gathered for meetings in Ottawa

Not just feds in MMIW action plan: Marc Miller

O'Toole staffer tests positive for COVID-19

O'Toole staffer tests positive for COVID-19
The federal parties are still sorting out how the House of Commons will function when it resumes next Wednesday.

O'Toole staffer tests positive for COVID-19

Task force wants $55B for climate, clean energy

Task force wants $55B for climate, clean energy
The $55-billion, five-year environmental economic plan from the Task Force for a Resilient Recovery is just one of a rising number of reports bombarding the Liberal government with demands for a robust and fair recovery ahead of next week's throne speech.

Task force wants $55B for climate, clean energy