Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Oct, 2020 08:17 PM
  • Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Lawyers say they are close to finalizing details that would allow a trial by Zoom for a man who killed 10 people when he drove a rental van down a busy Toronto sidewalk.

Alek Minassian faces 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder in connection with the April 2018 incident.

He appeared by video during a virtual court hearing Thursday morning, where the prosecution and defence said they were sorting out the logistics of holding the trial by the videoconference software.

Justice Anne Molloy said she is holding another trial by Zoom at the moment that could be a blueprint for Minassian's trial, which is set to begin on Nov. 9.

A recent decision by the Superior Court of Ontario's chief justice limits the number of people in a physical courtroom to 10 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Minassian's trial by judge alone was set to begin on April 6, but was postponed because of the pandemic.

In early March, Minassian admitted in court to planning and carrying out the attack. The judge has said the case will turn on Minassian's state of mind at the time of the attack, not whether he did it.

Minassian will next appear in court on Oct. 28.

MORE National ARTICLES

No plans to cut military spending: Sajjan

No plans to cut military spending: Sajjan
The fears are based on past feel: the Canadian Armed Forces was previously hit by deep cuts when Ottawa struggled to balance the books in both the 1990s and early 2010s.

No plans to cut military spending: Sajjan

Kenney remains hopeful for cross-Canada oil pipeline

Kenney remains hopeful for cross-Canada oil pipeline
Jason Kenney said Tuesday that the proposed cross-Canada oil pipeline isn't being considered because the federal Liberal government helped to kill it in 2017.

Kenney remains hopeful for cross-Canada oil pipeline

U.S. stands down on aluminum tariff dispute

U.S. stands down on aluminum tariff dispute
The news came as Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland and International Trade Minister Mary Ng prepared to unveil a list of U.S. aluminum products and manufactured goods Canada had singled out for reciprocal treatment later Tuesday.

U.S. stands down on aluminum tariff dispute

Leslyn Lewis to run for Conservatives in Ontario

Leslyn Lewis to run for Conservatives in Ontario
Finley announced in August that she won't run in the next election and she has given Lewis her support.

Leslyn Lewis to run for Conservatives in Ontario

Rock-Solid Continuing Education Options Through Ashton College, Deliver Quick, Focused Learning

Rock-Solid Continuing Education Options Through Ashton College, Deliver Quick, Focused Learning
The continuing education courses allow individuals to explore a new career path, advance their existing knowledge or prepare for a life-changing exam. 

Rock-Solid Continuing Education Options Through Ashton College, Deliver Quick, Focused Learning

WATCH: CERB ENDS in 2 WEEKS - OVER 3 MILLION CANADIANS TROUBLED | COVID CASE AT DELTA SECONDARY SCHOOL

WATCH: CERB ENDS in 2 WEEKS - OVER 3 MILLION CANADIANS TROUBLED | COVID CASE AT DELTA SECONDARY SCHOOL
WATCH: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CERB CUT OFF! Canada closes its Wallet to over 3 million unemployed Canadians as CERB is phased out this SEPTEMBER 27th. A Confirmed COVID19 case at Delta Secondary School.

WATCH: CERB ENDS in 2 WEEKS - OVER 3 MILLION CANADIANS TROUBLED | COVID CASE AT DELTA SECONDARY SCHOOL