Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Oct, 2020 08:17 PM
  • Minassian makes brief appearance as trial nears

Lawyers say they are close to finalizing details that would allow a trial by Zoom for a man who killed 10 people when he drove a rental van down a busy Toronto sidewalk.

Alek Minassian faces 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder in connection with the April 2018 incident.

He appeared by video during a virtual court hearing Thursday morning, where the prosecution and defence said they were sorting out the logistics of holding the trial by the videoconference software.

Justice Anne Molloy said she is holding another trial by Zoom at the moment that could be a blueprint for Minassian's trial, which is set to begin on Nov. 9.

A recent decision by the Superior Court of Ontario's chief justice limits the number of people in a physical courtroom to 10 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Minassian's trial by judge alone was set to begin on April 6, but was postponed because of the pandemic.

In early March, Minassian admitted in court to planning and carrying out the attack. The judge has said the case will turn on Minassian's state of mind at the time of the attack, not whether he did it.

Minassian will next appear in court on Oct. 28.

MORE National ARTICLES

WATCH: Tips to Fight Back to School Anxiety with Dr. Bal Pawa

WATCH: Tips to Fight Back to School Anxiety with Dr. Bal Pawa
Darpan's Social Media Host chats with Dr. Bal Pawa an Interegrative physician, a sought-after Tedx speaker and author of 'The Mind-Body Cure ' on how to help your child navigate back to school with COVID19 anxiety.

WATCH: Tips to Fight Back to School Anxiety with Dr. Bal Pawa

N.B. leaders prepare for final exchange

N.B. leaders prepare for final exchange
Liberal party leader Kevin Vickers has accused Higgs of having a secret plan to cut health services.

N.B. leaders prepare for final exchange

WE shutdown won't silence controversy

WE shutdown won't silence controversy
Two months before the government gave the contract to WE in late June, Angus notes that the organization had laid off hundreds of staff and replaced almost its entire board of directors, which had been denied access to the charity's financial reports.

WE shutdown won't silence controversy

Doctor's libel case can proceed: top court

Doctor's libel case can proceed: top court
The case began when medical doctor Howard Platnick was hired in 2014 to help assess a claim related to an auto accident on behalf of an insurer.

Doctor's libel case can proceed: top court

Ford calls federal quarantine system 'broken'

Ford calls federal quarantine system 'broken'
Essential workers must not work with anyone over the age of 65 for at least two weeks, and must wear masks if they can't physically distance from others.

Ford calls federal quarantine system 'broken'

Morneau broke election law: commissioner

Morneau broke election law: commissioner
The commissioner of Canada elections says before the 2019 federal election, Morneau pumped up two prospective Liberal candidates who were attending separate events he headlined as finance minister.

Morneau broke election law: commissioner