Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific
Ottawa has concluded negotiations for a trade deal with Indonesia and is proposing nuclear-energy collaboration with Southeast Asian leaders. The moves are a show of faith for multilateralism as the re-election of Donald Trump in the United States is raising fears of further strain in global co-operation on trade and the environment.

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content
The CRTC is looking at how to redefine Canadian content, launching a new consultation with plans to hold a public hearing in the spring. That includes asking questions about whether artificial intelligence-created video can be considered Cancon.

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding
The Insurance Bureau of Canada is calling for more federal funding after storms in B-C last month caused more than 110-million dollars in damage.  Intense rainfall and wind brought on by an atmospheric river resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding roads, parking garages and basements in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Metro Vancouver and Surrey.

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Man charged in series of robberies

Man charged in series of robberies
Mounties in Surrey say a man has been charged with nine offences, including theft and disguise with intent after a series of robberies in the city.  They say officers responded to a report of a jewelry store theft on October 7th, where a suspect stole about 27-thousand dollars worth of goods. 

Man charged in series of robberies

Joly, Blinken push to get B.C. river treaty through Congress before Trump government

Joly, Blinken push to get B.C. river treaty through Congress before Trump government
Top officials in both Canada and the United States are pushing for the need to finalize the Columbia River Treaty to manage water flowing between the two countries before the administration change in America. Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly told reporters in Lima, Peru, that much can be accomplished to get the treaty passed through Congress before president-elect Donald Trump takes office on Jan. 20.

Joly, Blinken push to get B.C. river treaty through Congress before Trump government

Three more cases of fraudulent overbilling, Ottawa says

Three more cases of fraudulent overbilling, Ottawa says
The federal government has referred three more cases of fraudulent overbilling in its procurement system to the RCMP. In July, a former federal consultant was charged with fraud for overbilling the government by $250,000.

Three more cases of fraudulent overbilling, Ottawa says