Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

Case of whooping cough confirmed on flight from Whitehorse to Vancouver

Case of whooping cough confirmed on flight from Whitehorse to Vancouver
Yukon says its Communicable Disease Control and the territory's chief medical officer have confirmed a case of whooping cough on a flight from Whitehorse to Vancouver earlier this month. The territory says it is advising any passengers who took the Air North flight that left at 11:45 a.m. on Nov. 6 to monitor for symptoms, which may show up seven to 10 days after exposure.

Case of whooping cough confirmed on flight from Whitehorse to Vancouver

$574 million in federal financing to help build Vancouver rental homes

$574 million in federal financing to help build Vancouver rental homes
The federal government is providing more than $574 million in financing to help build about 950 rental homes in Vancouver. The government says in a news release that a project on 42nd Avenue is one of four locations receiving funds through the Apartment Loan Construction Program, which offers repayable low-interest loans to encourage more rentals builds for middle-class Canadians.

$574 million in federal financing to help build Vancouver rental homes

Winter storm watch issued for Yukon

Winter storm watch issued for Yukon
Environment Canada has issued a winter storm watch for the South Klondike Highway from Carcross to White Pass. It says that is due to a frontal system moving across the area today.

Winter storm watch issued for Yukon

Foreign investment drives growth in BC

Foreign investment drives growth in BC
Invest Vancouver — Metro Vancouver's regional economic development service — has released a new report that it says shows "how foreign direct investment is a powerful driver of employment and economic growth in B-C." The report says in 2022 that foreign multinational enterprises employed more than 349-thousand people in B-C, which marked a 46.3 per cent increase when compared to 2016.

Foreign investment drives growth in BC

RCMP rolls out body-worn cameras for officers nationally

RCMP rolls out body-worn cameras for officers nationally
The RCMP will begin its rollout of body-worn cameras for RCMP officers across the country next week. It expects deployment of more than 10,000 cameras to be finished in the next 12 to 18 months.

RCMP rolls out body-worn cameras for officers nationally

Trudeau off to APEC in Peru, G20 summit in Brazil as peer nations brace for Trump

Trudeau off to APEC in Peru, G20 summit in Brazil as peer nations brace for Trump
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is on his way to South America this afternoon heading first to Lima, Peru for the APEC summit and then to the G20 summit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Both summits aim to improve the multilateral institutions that have drawn skepticism from U.S. president-elect Donald Trump.

Trudeau off to APEC in Peru, G20 summit in Brazil as peer nations brace for Trump