Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP say three men arrested in B.C. have ties to Mexican drug cartels

RCMP say three men arrested in B.C. have ties to Mexican drug cartels
RCMP federal investigators have arrested three men in British Columbia they believe are connected to a transnational organized crime group connected to Mexican drug cartels bringing cocaine into Canada. They say officers also seized 23 firearms, several thousand rounds of ammunition and "multi-kilos of illicit drugs" from a home in Surrey, B.C.

RCMP say three men arrested in B.C. have ties to Mexican drug cartels

3 charged in a drug operation in Richmond

3 charged in a drug operation in Richmond
Police in Metro Vancouver say three people have been charged after a multi-year investigation into an alleged drug trafficking operation in Richmond. R-C-M-P say the probe began in November 2021, and searches at multiple properties in that city, as well as Vancouver, turned up some 15-hundred tablets of alleged M-D-M-A as well as 3.6 kilograms of methamphetamine.

3 charged in a drug operation in Richmond

Report details anti-Black racism in the public service, calls for commissioner

Report details anti-Black racism in the public service, calls for commissioner
A government-funded report says Black executives within the public service are subjected to harassment and intimidation, career stagnation, unjust workloads and, as one executive wrote, a "cesspool of racism." Lawyer Rachel Zellars, who authored the report for the Black Executives Network, wrote that the interviews she conducted with 73 participants were the "most distressing" she has witnessed and recorded. Of the 73 people she interviewed, 63 are current employees.

Report details anti-Black racism in the public service, calls for commissioner

Feds launching research institute for AI safety

Feds launching research institute for AI safety
The federal government is opening a research centre that will study the dangers posed by artificial intelligence technology. Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne announced the launch of the Canadian Artificial Intelligence Safety Institute in Montreal on Tuesday. He said the centre will be important for building public trust in artificial intelligence technology.

Feds launching research institute for AI safety

2 dozen tires slashed in Nanaimo

2 dozen tires slashed in Nanaimo
A man has been arrested in connection to dozens of tires being slashed overnight in two Nanaimo parking lots. R-C-M-P say officers located 20 vehicles with their tires slashed in a parking lot in the 200 block of Franklyn Street, while another three vehicles with slashed tires were found a short time later in the 300 block of Selby Street.

2 dozen tires slashed in Nanaimo

Canada's privacy commissioner opens investigation into World Anti-Doping Agency

Canada's privacy commissioner opens investigation into World Anti-Doping Agency
The federal privacy watchdog has opened an investigation into the World Anti-Doping Agency's handling of biological samples collected from athletes. The office of privacy commissioner Philippe Dufresne says the investigation will examine whether the collection, use and disclosure practices of the organization respect Canada's personal information law for the private sector.

Canada's privacy commissioner opens investigation into World Anti-Doping Agency