Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

Tunnel under Stanley Park coming

Tunnel under Stanley Park coming
The Metro Vancouver regional district says construction will begin this month on a new 1.4-kilometre-long water supply tunnel deep under Stanley Park. A statement from the district says the tunnel will replace a water main that was built in the 1930s with work expected to stretch into 2029.

Tunnel under Stanley Park coming

B.C. business groups urge end to port lockout as labour dispute halts shipping

B.C. business groups urge end to port lockout as labour dispute halts shipping
British Columbia's businesses leaders are urging port employers and more than 700 unionized workers to resolve their dispute immediately as a lockdown paralyzes shipping along Canada's west coast. The BC Maritime Employers Association says no negotiations are scheduled a day after it launched what it calls a defensive lockout against members of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514.

B.C. business groups urge end to port lockout as labour dispute halts shipping

Eby wants all-party probe into B.C. vote count errors as election boss blames weather

Eby wants all-party probe into B.C. vote count errors as election boss blames weather
Premier David Eby is proposing an all-party committee investigate mistakes made during the British Columbia election vote tally, including an uncounted ballot box and unreported votes in three-quarters of the province's 93 ridings. The proposal comes after B.C.'s chief electoral officer blamed extreme weather, long working hours and a new voting system for human errors behind the mistakes in last month's count, though none were large enough to change the initial results.

Eby wants all-party probe into B.C. vote count errors as election boss blames weather

'It feels very bad': Brampton reels after two nights of tense protest outside temple

'It feels very bad': Brampton reels after two nights of tense protest outside temple
Monday night saw hundreds of demonstrators gather outside the Hindu Sabha Mandir in Brampton, Ont., where police allege people in the crowd were carrying weapons and objects were being thrown.  That demonstration came after violent protests on Sunday outside the same temple spilled over to two other locations in Mississauga, Ont. 

'It feels very bad': Brampton reels after two nights of tense protest outside temple

Fatal crash on Vancouver Island

Fatal crash on Vancouver Island
Police say they're investigating a head-on crash that killed one person on Vancouver Island over the weekend. R-C-M-P say witnesses to the crash on Highway 18 west of Duncan told police that a compact pickup truck was heading west when it drifted into the oncoming lane and struck a one-tonne pickup.

Fatal crash on Vancouver Island

B.C. man charged with second-degree murder in death of estranged wife

B.C. man charged with second-degree murder in death of estranged wife
A man has been charged with killing his estranged wife in Montrose. Police in the West Kootenay community say officers were dispatched Monday after a report of a man assaulting a woman on the front lawn of a home.

B.C. man charged with second-degree murder in death of estranged wife