Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. ports shuttered as lockout takes hold in latest labour dispute

B.C. ports shuttered as lockout takes hold in latest labour dispute
One of Canada's most vital trade arteries is cut off as employers at most of British Columbia's ports lock out their workers in a dispute involving about 700 unionized foremen.  The BC Maritime Employers Association says it defensively locked out members of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 after the union began strike activity yesterday.

B.C. ports shuttered as lockout takes hold in latest labour dispute

Inflation is down, wages are up. Why are Canadians still frustrated with the economy?

Inflation is down, wages are up. Why are Canadians still frustrated with the economy?
The federal finance minister has been taking every opportunity to remind frustrated Canadians that after a bumpy pandemic recovery, the nation's economy is actually doing a lot better. Inflation is now at 1.6 per cent, below the Bank of Canada's two per cent target. Interest rates are falling rapidly and more cuts are on the way. The economy, while weak, has avoided a much-feared recession. 

Inflation is down, wages are up. Why are Canadians still frustrated with the economy?

Canada Post, union, still disagree over weekend delivery following weekend talks

Canada Post, union, still disagree over weekend delivery following weekend talks
The Crown corporation says in a news release late Monday that neither side has provided the minimum 72-hour notice of their intent to start a labour disruption, but the Canadian Union of Postal Workers repeated a threat on its website that it "won’t shy away from taking the next step" if there is no real movement at the bargaining table.

Canada Post, union, still disagree over weekend delivery following weekend talks

In the news today: Canadians watch as Americans head to the polls

In the news today: Canadians watch as Americans head to the polls
The U.S. is Canada's largest trading partner and its next president will be in charge during the review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico agreement in 2026. Harris has campaigned on the fact that she voted against the trilateral agreement, saying it didn't do enough to protect American workers or the environment. The vice-president is largely expected to maintain President Joe Biden's Buy American procurement rules.

In the news today: Canadians watch as Americans head to the polls

Demonstration outside Brampton Hindu temple broken up after weapons spotted: police

Demonstration outside Brampton Hindu temple broken up after weapons spotted: police
A Hindu temple in Brampton, Ont., where violence erupted over the weekend was the site of another demonstration on Monday night that police broke up after they say weapons were spotted in the crowd. Peel Regional Police said in social-media updates that the demonstration was declared an unlawful assembly shortly before 10 p.m., after officers saw weapons "within the demonstration."

Demonstration outside Brampton Hindu temple broken up after weapons spotted: police

Preparation for next U.S. president started months ago, Trudeau's cabinet says

Preparation for next U.S. president started months ago, Trudeau's cabinet says
U.S. voters are choosing between starkly different visions of their country's future with either former president Donald Trump or Vice-President Kamala Harris. Whoever wins the White House this year will be in charge when the Canada-U.S.-Mexico trade agreement is reviewed in 2026. 

Preparation for next U.S. president started months ago, Trudeau's cabinet says