Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

Poland arrests people in alleged plot to send explosives to Canada

Poland arrests people in alleged plot to send explosives to Canada
Polish authorities say four people have been charged in an alleged plan to send explosives via courier service to Canada and the United States. The RCMP says it is aware of the arrests, but declined further comment to preserve the integrity of the investigation.

Poland arrests people in alleged plot to send explosives to Canada

Deadly hit and run in Nanaimo

Deadly hit and run in Nanaimo
A man is dead after a hit-and-run in Nanaimo last night. RCMP say bystanders and first responders tried to save the man, but he was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Deadly hit and run in Nanaimo

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in fatal Metro Vancouver school stabbing

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in fatal Metro Vancouver school stabbing
A man charged in the fatal stabbing of an 18-year-old in the parking lot of a Metro Vancouver high school two years ago has pleaded guilty to manslaughter. Homicide investigators say the man, who cannot be identified because he was 17 at the time of the attack, pleaded guilty on Wednesday in provincial court in Surrey.

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in fatal Metro Vancouver school stabbing

50 tonnes of 'fatbergs' removed from Richmond sewers, Metro Vancouver says

50 tonnes of 'fatbergs' removed from Richmond sewers, Metro Vancouver says
Workers in Metro Vancouver have chiselled away about 50 tonnes of so-called "fatbergs" that have clogged the sewer system and prompted a reminder to residents not to dump grease down the drain. 

50 tonnes of 'fatbergs' removed from Richmond sewers, Metro Vancouver says

Body found in Cowichan Bay

Body found in Cowichan Bay
Police on eastern Vancouver Island say they have found the body of a 26-year-old man in the waters of Cowichan Bay. R-C-M-P say the man was last seen Monday and reported missing on Wednesday.

Body found in Cowichan Bay

Man charged in child pornography

Man charged in child pornography
Police in New Westminster say a 45-year-old man has been charged with one count of possession of child pornography.  They say in a statement that the man was arrested last July and he's since been released from custody with several "strict" court-ordered conditions. 

Man charged in child pornography