Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

Mail-in ballot figures coming for each B.C. riding, may make election outcome clearer

Mail-in ballot figures coming for each B.C. riding, may make election outcome clearer
Elections BC is expected to provide a breakdown today of the number of uncounted mail-in and absentee ballots in each of British Columbia's 93 ridings, potentially making clearer the outcome of the weekend's nail-biting vote. There are about 65,000 of the ballots to count between tomorrow and Monday, which could solidify results from election night, or may even flip some ridings. 

Mail-in ballot figures coming for each B.C. riding, may make election outcome clearer

One charged in arson: Surrey RCMP

One charged in arson: Surrey RCMP
Surrey R-C-M-P say a 29-year-old man has been charged with one count of arson causing property damage after a fire in the Newton neighbourhood last week. The Mounties say they were called to help in the response to the residential structure fire, and found firefighters were detaining a man at the scene.

One charged in arson: Surrey RCMP

Stabbing in Downtown core: VPD

Stabbing in Downtown core: VPD
Police in Vancouver say they're investigating a stabbing in the city's downtown core. Constable Tania Visintin says the victim was found at the intersection of West Hastings and Richards Streets, but it appears the stabbing happened elsewhere.

Stabbing in Downtown core: VPD

Crucial B.C. election recounts won't start until Sunday afternoon

Crucial B.C. election recounts won't start until Sunday afternoon
Voting officials say recounts in two ridings that could determine the outcome of British Columbia's election won't start until Sunday afternoon — and it won't be until Monday before the makeup of the legislature is finalized. The updated timeline provided by Elections BC says results of the Surrey City Centre recount will be posted on its website on Sunday when it is complete, while the outcome from Juan De Fuca—Malahat will be posted when it is finished the next day.

Crucial B.C. election recounts won't start until Sunday afternoon

Joly at Paris summit on Lebanon as Canadian donation-matching goal falling short

Joly at Paris summit on Lebanon as Canadian donation-matching goal falling short
France hosted dozens of countries at the summit on Thursday, which it said had raised US$1 billion in pledges for Lebanon. A fifth of that is for the country's military while the rest is targeted at humanitarian aid.

Joly at Paris summit on Lebanon as Canadian donation-matching goal falling short

More rain in B.C. forecast, although 'nothing' compared to atmospheric river

More rain in B.C. forecast, although 'nothing' compared to atmospheric river
The District of North Vancouver is getting ready for another bout of rain after an atmospheric river weather system drenched B.C.'s south coast last weekend, triggering a mudslide and localized flooding that killed at least three people. The North Shore mountains could see another 75 millimetres of rain this weekend, and Lisa Muri, a councillor with the district, says staff are preparing by cleaning up culverts and placing sandbags throughout the community.

More rain in B.C. forecast, although 'nothing' compared to atmospheric river