Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

John Rustad shares his B.C. Conservative origin story, in postelection message

John Rustad shares his B.C. Conservative origin story, in postelection message
John Rustad has taken to social media to describe his origin story as leader of British Columbia's Conservative Party, which he took from obscurity to the brink of power in Saturday's provincial election. The Conservatives went from taking less than two per cent of the vote in 2020 to being elected or leading in 45 ridings, two short of a majority and only one behind Premier David Eby's New Democrats.

John Rustad shares his B.C. Conservative origin story, in postelection message

BC hiker missing since 14 days

BC hiker missing since 14 days
Mounties in northeastern B-C say "extensive resources" including police dogs have been deployed in the search for a man who has failed to return from a 10-day camping trip in a remote provincial park. R-C-M-P say Sam Benastick's family reported him missing on Saturday, after he didn't come home from the trip to Redfern-Keily Park, about 250 kilometres northwest of Fort St. John.

BC hiker missing since 14 days

Man Tasered after trespassing in Victoria school, forcing lockdown

Man Tasered after trespassing in Victoria school, forcing lockdown
A middle school in Victoria was forced into a lockdown after a man entered the building without permission, and police say they had to use a stun gun to make an arrest. Victoria police say officers received multiple calls around noon on Monday of an unknown male entering Central Middle School, leading staff to set off emergency procedures that put the building under lockdown. 

Man Tasered after trespassing in Victoria school, forcing lockdown

B.C. Greens' ex- leader Weaver thinks minority deal with NDP less likely than in 2017

B.C. Greens' ex- leader Weaver thinks minority deal with NDP less likely than in 2017
Former B.C. Green leader Andrew Weaver knows what it's like to form a minority government with the NDP, but says such a deal to form the province's next government is less likely this time than seven years ago. Weaver struck a power-sharing agreement that resulted in John Horgan's NDP minority government in 2017, but says there is now more animosity between the two parties.

B.C. Greens' ex- leader Weaver thinks minority deal with NDP less likely than in 2017

One Liberal MP says he's signed letter asking Trudeau to resign, others remain mum

One Liberal MP says he's signed letter asking Trudeau to resign, others remain mum
As an internal revolt brews, few Liberal MPs who are not in the cabinet are publicly defending the prime minister. The upcoming caucus meeting on Wednesday appears to present the most serious challenge to Trudeau's leadership to date.

One Liberal MP says he's signed letter asking Trudeau to resign, others remain mum

What happens after British Columbia's indecisive election?

What happens after British Columbia's indecisive election?
What happens after British Columbia's indecisive election? British Columbians went to the polls Saturday, but now face a week or more before knowing the result, and whether the NDP's David Eby will keep his job as premier or if B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad will take charge, or if there might be a new election.

What happens after British Columbia's indecisive election?