Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

Three charged with first-degree murder in Vancouver Island overdose death: police

Three charged with first-degree murder in Vancouver Island overdose death: police
British Columbia police say three people have been charged with first-degree murder in the overdose death of a woman from Nanaimo. A statement from B.C.'s Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says their team on Vancouver Island began investigating in August 2023 after obtaining information that led them to believe the woman's death was "suspicious."

Three charged with first-degree murder in Vancouver Island overdose death: police

Cyclist killed by pickup truck

Cyclist killed by pickup truck
Police in Central Saanich are investigating the death of a woman who was killed by a pickup truck as she was taking part in an organized bicycle race yesterday. Police say the woman, who was in her late 40s, was racing in the Tripleshot Cross Fondo when she was struck at an intersection on Central Saanich Road, north of Victoria. 

Cyclist killed by pickup truck

Body pulled from Fraser River

Body pulled from Fraser River
Police in Richmond are looking for possible witnesses following the death of a woman after she was pulled from the Fraser River. Mounties say officers received a call of a woman in distress in the river yelling for help on October 3rd.

Body pulled from Fraser River

One dead, another missing after Vancouver Island road washout

One dead, another missing after Vancouver Island road washout
Police on the west coast of Vancouver Island say one person has been found dead and another is missing after a road washout near Bamfield. RCMP in Port Alberni say a truck was found fully submerged in the Sarita River Saturday night after a "washout," and the body of the driver was later found nearby.

One dead, another missing after Vancouver Island road washout

Two plead guilty to B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik

Two plead guilty to B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik
Two men charged in the killing of former Air India bombing suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik have pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a British Columbia court. The courthouse in New Westminster confirmed the pleas from Tanner Fox and Jose Lopez in the 2022 shooting of Malik, who was acquitted in 2005 over the 1985 bombings that killed 331 people. 

Two plead guilty to B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik

Parliament returns amid partisan wrangling, rumblings about Trudeau's leadership

Parliament returns amid partisan wrangling, rumblings about Trudeau's leadership
The House of Commons returns today from a weeklong break, but it's unlikely to be business as usual. Members of Parliament resumed an 11th day of debate on a Conservative demand for documents about federal spending on green technology projects.

Parliament returns amid partisan wrangling, rumblings about Trudeau's leadership