Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau says death of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar 'ends a reign of terror'

Trudeau says death of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar 'ends a reign of terror'
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Israel's killing of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar in the Gaza Strip "ends a reign of terror." The Israeli military declared today that it had killed Sinwar during a Wednesday battle and confirmed his death with a DNA test.

Trudeau says death of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar 'ends a reign of terror'

Former Canadian Olympic athlete wanted in U.S. for murder, drug charges

Former Canadian Olympic athlete wanted in U.S. for murder, drug charges
Ryan James Wedding is one of 16 defendants named in an indictment filed in California, which details an operation that allegedly moved large shipments of cocaine from Colombia through Mexico and California to Canada and other locations in the United States. U.S. authorities say the 43-year-old Wedding, who was living in Mexico, is considered a fugitive. 

Former Canadian Olympic athlete wanted in U.S. for murder, drug charges

Suspected MDMA seizure by Delta Police

Suspected MDMA seizure by Delta Police
Police in Delta say officers seized about 87 kilograms of suspected M-D-M-A during a traffic stop in the city. They say occupants of the vehicle were arrested but have been released pending further investigation.

Suspected MDMA seizure by Delta Police

3 teens charged in transit assault

3 teens charged in transit assault
Transit police in Metro Vancouver say three teenage girls have been charged for two violent assaults that happened on public transit in Surrey in July. They say around 9 P-M on July 11th, the group attacked a 16-year-old at a SkyTrain station and later beat an 18-year-old woman on a bus following a verbal assault. 

3 teens charged in transit assault

CP Railway adjusts safety measures following B.C. train crash: safety board

CP Railway adjusts safety measures following B.C. train crash: safety board
The board's report says the supervisor was inspecting the main tracks on Dec. 29, 2022, in a vehicle that can operate on both roads and rail when he noticed a defect that needed repair.  It says that while the man was repairing the track, an eastbound freight train crashed into the unoccupied vehicle, but no one was hurt.

CP Railway adjusts safety measures following B.C. train crash: safety board

Singh says he doesn't understand why Poilievre won't get top security clearance

Singh says he doesn't understand why Poilievre won't get top security clearance
Singh said party leaders need to be briefed on top-secret information, noting the allegations this week that Indian agents played a role in the extortion, coercion and murder of Canadian citizens on Canadian soil. 

Singh says he doesn't understand why Poilievre won't get top security clearance