Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver Island Police search for missing woman

Vancouver Island Police search for missing woman
Police on Vancouver Island are appealing to the public for information that could help them find a woman reported missing more than two years ago. R-C-M-P say they believe Amber Manthorne's disappearance in July 2022 was the result of foul play, and it's unlikely the 40-year-old will be found alive.

Vancouver Island Police search for missing woman

Leaders converge on Vancouver Island as B.C. voters break advance polling record

Leaders converge on Vancouver Island as B.C. voters break advance polling record
Leaders of British Columbia's main political parties have converged on Vancouver Island in the final stage of campaigning before the provincial election on Saturday, with record numbers of voters already casting their ballots in advance polling. Elections BC says more than 181,000 people voted on Tuesday, breaking a record set on the first day of voting last week.

Leaders converge on Vancouver Island as B.C. voters break advance polling record

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults
The incident on Sunday is captured on video, showing a man in a grey suit berating supporters of Richmond Centre candidate Wendy Yuan while they were waving signs at an intersection. The man is seen swearing at the group and telling them to "take down" the Chinese Communist Party instead of "coming over here on your … little boats."

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister
Canada's border guards have recovered more stolen vehicles at railyards and ports so far this year than in all of 2023.  Transport Minister Anita Anand said the Canada Border Services Agency has recovered 1,945 stolen vehicles, with the majority found in Quebec.

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister

Canada Revenue Agency fires 330 employees over CERB claims during pandemic

Canada Revenue Agency fires 330 employees over CERB claims during pandemic
The Canada Revenue Agency says it has terminated 330 employees for inappropriately receiving the Canada Emergency Response Benefit during the pandemic, giving its final update on an internal review.

Canada Revenue Agency fires 330 employees over CERB claims during pandemic

Man with prior assault convictions charged in Vancouver tourist beating

Man with prior assault convictions charged in Vancouver tourist beating
Police say a man has been charged with aggravated assault and remains in custody after an unprovoked attack on a woman who was visiting Vancouver.  Vancouver police say the 35-year-old victim was walking near the cruise ship terminal at Canada Place shortly before 9 a.m. Sunday when she was assaulted.

Man with prior assault convictions charged in Vancouver tourist beating