Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

BC Coroners Service says no record of fatal overdose where Rustad says he saw man die

BC Coroners Service says no record of fatal overdose where Rustad says he saw man die
Rustad told Tuesday's party leaders' debate that he saw someone die "from an overdose" on the corner of Robson and Hornby streets in Vancouver, later telling a news conference he watched first responders "pumping his chest" as an ambulance arrived.

BC Coroners Service says no record of fatal overdose where Rustad says he saw man die

Eby says he'll focus on NDP's record in B.C., but can't resist more digs at Rustad

Eby says he'll focus on NDP's record in B.C., but can't resist more digs at Rustad
But in his first scheduled appearance after the sole televised debate of the closely fought election, Eby repeatedly turned back to his opponent, saying B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad was "vague" about his plans, and pointed out again that the B.C. Conservatives had not released their costed platform.

Eby says he'll focus on NDP's record in B.C., but can't resist more digs at Rustad

Winnipeg man charged with human smuggling after SUV stopped near Canada-U.S. border

Winnipeg man charged with human smuggling after SUV stopped near Canada-U.S. border
Mounties in Manitoba say they have charged a man with human smuggling and arrested six others near the Canada-United States border. RCMP say investigators became aware of an incursion happening near Emerson, Man., on the night of Sept. 28.

Winnipeg man charged with human smuggling after SUV stopped near Canada-U.S. border

Foreign affairs minister urges Canadians to leave Florida ahead of devastating storm

Foreign affairs minister urges Canadians to leave Florida ahead of devastating storm
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Canadians in Florida should leave and people planning to travel there should postpone as the state braces for the impact of Hurricane Milton. The storm was downgraded this morning to a Category 4 but is expected to bring deadly storm surge, rain and winds.

Foreign affairs minister urges Canadians to leave Florida ahead of devastating storm

Canada adds $15M to aid for Lebanon and will match $6M in donations

Canada adds $15M to aid for Lebanon and will match $6M in donations
International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen says the new money will help Canadian and international aid groups provide food, water, emergency health care and other assistance in Lebanon, though the exact allocations are yet to be determined.

Canada adds $15M to aid for Lebanon and will match $6M in donations

Spike in fines coming prior to Halloween for City of Surrey

Spike in fines coming prior to Halloween for City of Surrey
The City of Surrey is increasing its fines ahead of Halloween for those who are caught selling or using fireworks without a permit. It says the minimum penalty for a violation has jumped from 100 to 400 dollars and the maximum has increased from five thousand to 50-thousand dollars. 

Spike in fines coming prior to Halloween for City of Surrey