Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged after prominent Calgary radio host attacked

Man charged after prominent Calgary radio host attacked
27 year old Dilpreet Singh from Calgary been charged with assaulting a prominent Calgary radio host, who alleges he was targeted because of the station's news reporting. Police say they received a call on Sept. 29 about an assault near a banquet hall in the Horizon neighbourhood.

Man charged after prominent Calgary radio host attacked

B.C. man gets prison sentence, fine for using fake names to buy guns in the U.S.

B.C. man gets prison sentence, fine for using fake names to buy guns in the U.S.
A U.S. District Court judge in Montana has sentenced a 27-year-old man from Kelowna, B.C., to 18 months in prison for using fake names to buy guns with the aim of selling them in Canada. A statement from the United States Attorney's Office in Montana says Haptei John Kozak pleaded guilty earlier this year to four counts of making false statements during a firearms transaction. 

B.C. man gets prison sentence, fine for using fake names to buy guns in the U.S.

Vancouver Island man charged in hit-and-run that killed 17-year-old girl

Vancouver Island man charged in hit-and-run that killed 17-year-old girl
A man from Vancouver Island is facing a criminal charge in connection to a fatal hit-and-run that killed a teenager earlier this year. The North Cowichan-Duncan RCMP says a 28-year-old man from the Cowichan Valley is accused of failing to stop at the scene of an accident causing death.

Vancouver Island man charged in hit-and-run that killed 17-year-old girl

Officers in B.C. make dozens of seizures of methamphetamine bound for Australia

Officers in B.C. make dozens of seizures of methamphetamine bound for Australia
Canadian border officers in British Columbia made 60 seizures of methamphetamine destined for export to Australia between March and August. The Canadian Border Services Agency says the seizures totalled nearly 400 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine and close to 1,300 litres of a liquid form of the drug.

Officers in B.C. make dozens of seizures of methamphetamine bound for Australia

Fire spreads to multiple Vancouver homes

Fire spreads to multiple Vancouver homes
It took several dozen firefighters more than seven hours to put out a fire that spread to multiple homes in East Vancouver last night. Vancouver Fire Chief Karen Fry says the blaze in the Strathcona neighbourhood had quickly spread from one home to four others nearby.

Fire spreads to multiple Vancouver homes

Suspect in violent assault needs to be ID'd

Suspect in violent assault needs to be ID'd
Police in Vancouver are asking for the public's help in identifying a suspect in a violent assault on a woman near Vancouver's Oakridge SkyTrain station. They say a woman in her 30s was walking near West 41st Avenue and Ontario Street at around 7:50 p-m Sunday when a man grabbed her from behind. 

Suspect in violent assault needs to be ID'd