Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

More Cameras, Tight Security At This Year's Calgary Stampede

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Jul, 2019 08:30 PM

    CALGARY — There will be more security cameras, metal detectors and bag searches at this year's Calgary Stampede.


    Officials say there's no concern about an attack — it's just a matter of public safety.


    "We're mindful of other world events where other incidents have occurred ... where harm has been done to people by vehicles and things," Calgary police Insp. Paul Wyatt said Wednesday.


    "It would be naive of us not to put measures in place to counter that."


    The 10-day exhibition and rodeo begins Friday and more than 100,000 visitors are expected each day.


    Metal detectors and bag searches have become a regular routine for people entering the Stampede grounds. Last year, main entrances to the park were blocked by large cement planters to prevent possible vehicle attacks.


    The number of cameras has been increased by 10 per cent this year to address some gaps in security, said Wyatt.


    It's not just the Stampede grounds that will be under surveillance. The parade on Friday, which attracts up to 350,000 people, has to be watched too.


    "We have plans in place," Wyatt said. "We hope we don't have to use them, but we're prepared."


    Wyatt is also asking the public to look out for anything suspicious. "Watch for unusual situations or items or if someone is acting strangely. And if you see something, please say something."


    The head of Calgary's Emergency Management Agency says police, fire and EMS officials have run through several possibilities.


    "We've run scenarios on the parade and we've run scenarios on the Stampede grounds. And I can tell you that we will be prepared and have the safest Stampede on record," said Tom Sampson.


    Visitors are urged not to bring anything onto the grounds that they wouldn't take through airport security.


    There are also new rules because this will be the first Stampede since recreational cannabis was legalized, said Jim Laurendeau, vice-president of park planning.


    "There will be no consumption of cannabis in Stampede Park. However, as a legal item, people can carry it and it will not be confiscated at the gates."


    And for those who flout the cannabis rules?


    "Our policy is they'll be asked to stop and if need be we would take measures including escorting them off the premises."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Chief Of Defence Staff, DND Deputy Minister Brief Federal Cabinet

    OTTAWA — Canada's top general and the deputy minister of national defence are attending the federal cabinet this morning a week after the criminal case against the military's former second-in-command fell apart.

    Chief Of Defence Staff, DND Deputy Minister Brief Federal Cabinet

    Edmonton Restaurant Won't Mess With Mother Goose That Has Nest Near Patio

    EDMONTON — An Edmonton restaurant says it won't mess with a Canada goose that has a nest near its patio.    

    Edmonton Restaurant Won't Mess With Mother Goose That Has Nest Near Patio

    Famed UFO Researcher Stanton Friedman Dead After Half Century Of Lectures

    FREDERICTON — Stanton T. Friedman, nuclear physicist, lecturer and world-renowned devotee of extraterrestrial existence, has died at the age of 84.    

    Famed UFO Researcher Stanton Friedman Dead After Half Century Of Lectures

    Crown Appeals Acquittal Of Ex-Violin Teacher Who Measured Students' Bare Breasts

    Prosecutors are asking Ontario's highest court to overturn the acquittal of a former violin teacher who measured his teenage students' bare breasts while fitting them for shoulder rests.    

    Crown Appeals Acquittal Of Ex-Violin Teacher Who Measured Students' Bare Breasts

    Judge Awards Businessman $2.5 Million For Suffering 'Hate Speech At Its Worst'

    Ontario Superior Court Justice Jane Ferguson ordered Kevin J. Johnston to pay a total of $2.5 million in damages for defamation to Mohamad Fakih, the owner and founder of Paramount Fine Foods.

    Judge Awards Businessman $2.5 Million For Suffering 'Hate Speech At Its Worst'

    Mounties In Saskatchewan Investigating Video Of Nazi Flag-Burning

    KELLIHER, Sask. — RCMP in Saskatchewan are investigating a video on social media that they say shows someone burning a Nazi flag which a man claimed to have removed from a rural home.

    Mounties In Saskatchewan Investigating Video Of Nazi Flag-Burning