Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

More Cameras, Tight Security At This Year's Calgary Stampede

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Jul, 2019 08:30 PM

    CALGARY — There will be more security cameras, metal detectors and bag searches at this year's Calgary Stampede.


    Officials say there's no concern about an attack — it's just a matter of public safety.


    "We're mindful of other world events where other incidents have occurred ... where harm has been done to people by vehicles and things," Calgary police Insp. Paul Wyatt said Wednesday.


    "It would be naive of us not to put measures in place to counter that."


    The 10-day exhibition and rodeo begins Friday and more than 100,000 visitors are expected each day.


    Metal detectors and bag searches have become a regular routine for people entering the Stampede grounds. Last year, main entrances to the park were blocked by large cement planters to prevent possible vehicle attacks.


    The number of cameras has been increased by 10 per cent this year to address some gaps in security, said Wyatt.


    It's not just the Stampede grounds that will be under surveillance. The parade on Friday, which attracts up to 350,000 people, has to be watched too.


    "We have plans in place," Wyatt said. "We hope we don't have to use them, but we're prepared."


    Wyatt is also asking the public to look out for anything suspicious. "Watch for unusual situations or items or if someone is acting strangely. And if you see something, please say something."


    The head of Calgary's Emergency Management Agency says police, fire and EMS officials have run through several possibilities.


    "We've run scenarios on the parade and we've run scenarios on the Stampede grounds. And I can tell you that we will be prepared and have the safest Stampede on record," said Tom Sampson.


    Visitors are urged not to bring anything onto the grounds that they wouldn't take through airport security.


    There are also new rules because this will be the first Stampede since recreational cannabis was legalized, said Jim Laurendeau, vice-president of park planning.


    "There will be no consumption of cannabis in Stampede Park. However, as a legal item, people can carry it and it will not be confiscated at the gates."


    And for those who flout the cannabis rules?


    "Our policy is they'll be asked to stop and if need be we would take measures including escorting them off the premises."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Liberals Push Tories To Show Climate-Policy Hand With Climate-Change Motion

    OTTAWA — Environment Minister Catherine McKenna is pushing Parliament to declare that Canada is in a "climate change emergency."

    Liberals Push Tories To Show Climate-Policy Hand With Climate-Change Motion

    Canada's Agriculture Minister Talks Canola With Chinese Counterpart At G20

    TOKYO — Agriculture Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau briefly met with her Chinese counterpart, where she expressed Canada's concern with the suspension of canola exports to China over claims it is contaminated.

    Canada's Agriculture Minister Talks Canola With Chinese Counterpart At G20

    B.C. Court Allows Class-Action Lawsuit Against Facebook To Expand

    B.C. Court Allows Class-Action Lawsuit Against Facebook To Expand
    Deborah Douez claims the social media giant used her image and those of others without their knowledge in the "sponsored stories" advertising program that is no longer in operation.    

    B.C. Court Allows Class-Action Lawsuit Against Facebook To Expand

    Police Vehicles Wrecked As Drivers Leads RCMP In 'Dangerous Pursuit'

    Police Vehicles Wrecked As Drivers Leads RCMP In 'Dangerous Pursuit'
    NANAIMO, B.C. — Two RCMP vehicles were destroyed and a 28-year-old man taken into custody after police say they were led on a "dangerous pursuit" Saturday in Nanaimo, B.C.    

    Police Vehicles Wrecked As Drivers Leads RCMP In 'Dangerous Pursuit'

    Man Charged In Death At B.C. Home Where Police Say 'Violent Struggle' Occurred

    Man Charged In Death At B.C. Home Where Police Say 'Violent Struggle' Occurred
    CENTRAL SAANICH, B.C. — A man from Nanaimo, B.C., has been charged with first-degree murder after police found one person dead and two seriously injured at a home in Brentwood Bay.

    Man Charged In Death At B.C. Home Where Police Say 'Violent Struggle' Occurred

    Wildfire Scorches More Than Two Square Kilometres Of Woodland In Southern B.C.

    Wildfire Scorches More Than Two Square Kilometres Of Woodland In Southern B.C.
    OSOYOOS, B.C. — An aggressive wildfire burning west of Osoyoos near Highway 3 has charred more than 2.5-square kilometres of bush in barely 12 hours.

    Wildfire Scorches More Than Two Square Kilometres Of Woodland In Southern B.C.