Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jun, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

Picture Courtesy: 

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

MORE National ARTICLES

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville
Police say it was "miraculous" that no one was killed in a head-on collision that destroyed two vehicles near Parksville, B.C. A statement from B.C. Highway Patrol says three people, including a child, were taken to hospital after the crash Monday on Highway 19.

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs
Brenda Bailey is expected to speak today at an event hosted by the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce, her first public appearance after tabling the budget on the same day U.S. President Donald Trump imposed 25 per cent on Canadian goods.

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues
Canada's industry minister is looking to block what he calls "predatory investment behaviour" as a trade war with the United States continues. François-Philippe Champagne warned Wednesday that Canadian businesses could be at risk due to the sweeping tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump.

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico
Canada has responded with 25 per cent retaliatory tariffs on $30 billion worth of American products, and will expand them to cover another $125 billion in U.S. goods in 21 days.

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs
Travel agency Flight Centre Travel Group Canada says leisure bookings to American cities dropped 40 per cent in February from the same month in 2024, while one in five customers cancelled their trips to the U.S. over the past three months.

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs

Former B.C. MLA Mike de Jong ousted from federal Conservative nomination race

Former B.C. MLA Mike de Jong ousted from federal Conservative nomination race
Former B.C. finance minister Mike de Jong says he's been told by the Conservative Party of Canada that he is no longer in the running to be a candidate for the party in the next federal election. He says he found it "mystifying" that the party won't allow him to contest the nomination in the riding of Abbotsford-South Langley after campaigning for the spot for almost a year. 

Former B.C. MLA Mike de Jong ousted from federal Conservative nomination race