Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jun, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

Picture Courtesy: 

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

MORE National ARTICLES

'Elbows up': Canadians angry, defiant as U.S. tariffs take effect

'Elbows up': Canadians angry, defiant as U.S. tariffs take effect
In downtown Vancouver, Sandra Mori walked out of a provincial liquor store on Tuesday with B.C. wine, and raised her elbow to the sky. From coast to coast, Canadians are remaining defiant in the face of punishing U.S. tariffs on Canadian goods, promising to use their wallets to fight the trade war launched on Tuesday by President Donald Trump.

'Elbows up': Canadians angry, defiant as U.S. tariffs take effect

B.C. budget brings record deficit, billions in trade-war contingencies

B.C. budget brings record deficit, billions in trade-war contingencies
British Columbia’s finance minister is forecasting another record deficit in a budget she says defends the province from an unfolding North American trade war that risks tens of thousands of jobs and tens of billions in economic losses for B.C. Brenda Bailey says “the impact will be severe” but it’s not the time to retreat by cutting spending on public services.

B.C. budget brings record deficit, billions in trade-war contingencies

Gang-related homicide investigators deployed to Surrey after shooting

Gang-related homicide investigators deployed to Surrey after shooting
British Columbia's Homicide Investigation Team has been deployed to Surrey after a fatal "targeted, brazen shooting" earlier this week. Police say officers with the Surrey Police Service responded to reports of a shooting near the 7900 block of 120 Street around 5:25 p.m. Monday and found the driver of a vehicle suffering from life-threatening injuries.

Gang-related homicide investigators deployed to Surrey after shooting

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released
British Columbia Premier David Eby interrupted the budget lockup today to outline some of the plans his government has to counter U.S. tariffs that threaten to upend the economy. Eby says his government will make sure that there is support in place for B.C. businesses to pivot to global and domestic markets. 

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs
British Columbia Premier David Eby says the province and the country is strong enough to weather the storm in the threat to Canada's sovereignty coming from a former friend. Eby took the unusual step of interrupting B.C.'s budget lockup to address how the province will respond after U.S. President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on Canadian goods.

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister
Brenda Bailey's budget is being handed down on the same day that Trump says a 25 per cent U.S. tariff will be placed on Canadian goods, while Canadian energy will face 10 per cent tariffs. Bailey says Trump's tariffs came "completely out of nowhere" when he announced them last November and they've already changed B.C.'s financial circumstances.

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister