Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jun, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

Picture Courtesy: 

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

MORE National ARTICLES

Edmonton city council votes to restrict the sale of knives in convenience stores

Edmonton city council votes to restrict the sale of knives in convenience stores
City council has passed a bylaw that restricts the sale of knives in Edmonton convenience stores. Mayor Amarjeet Sohi says convenient and quick access to knives makes the community less safe.

Edmonton city council votes to restrict the sale of knives in convenience stores

4 found dead on a First Nation home

4 found dead on a First Nation home
Police say four people have been found dead in a home on the Carry the Kettle Nakoda Nation in southern Saskatchewan. RCMP say officers with the File Hills Police Service were called to the home, where they found the bodies.

4 found dead on a First Nation home

Uptick in Vancouver home sales

Uptick in Vancouver home sales
Greater Vancouver home sales went up again last month, but the region’s real estate board says more people were trying to sell than buy. Andrew Lis with Greater Vancouver Realtors says momentum is starting to shift from buyer demand to sellers, helping to keep the market balanced and limit price fluctuations.

Uptick in Vancouver home sales

Body found in Prince George

Body found in Prince George
Police in Prince George say a body has been found near the intersection of highways 97 and 16, southwest of the downtown. R-C-M-P say officers responded to the call shortly before 9 this morning.

Body found in Prince George

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil
Finance worker Michael Atkinson is a fan of electric cars, but lately he found himself embarrassed to drive his Tesla Model 3 around Vancouver. Dismayed by Tesla CEO Elon Musk and his association with U.S. President Donald Trump, Atkinson now drives an electric Volkswagen ID.4 after returning his Tesla to the dealership with two months left on the lease.

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada
To justify his executive order imposing stiff tariffs on goods from Canada, Mexico and China, U.S. President Donald Trump cited an "extraordinary threat posed by illegal aliens and drugs, including deadly fentanyl." Trump agreed Monday to pause the planned tariffs against Canada and Mexico for 30 days in response to both countries promising to bolster border security.

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada