Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Jun, 2025 02:43 PM
  • More than 100 people on Canadian chartered flight leaving Middle East tonight: Anand

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

Picture Courtesy: 

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian chartered flight will leave Jordan this evening with more than 100 people on board.

Speaking from The Hague, Anand says Canada is also helping allied nations get their citizens out of the Middle East but adds the number of foreign nationals asking for help is "minimal" compared to the number of Canadians.

Global Affairs Canada deployed more consular assistance to the region after war broke out between Israel and Iran last week.

Anand says Global Affairs Canada has helped more than 500 Canadians in the region since the conflict began.

She adds that Canada has ground transportation available to help get Canadians out of Israel to a neighbouring country, now that Israeli airspace is closed.

Canada has not had a diplomatic presence in Iran since 2012 and consular services are made available through Turkey.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case
The B.C. Court of Appeal says a man convicted of sexually assaulting his wife deserves a new trial because messages between the pair about a consensual "rape role-play" scenario were wrongfully excluded as evidence. The ruling released on Friday says the complainant and accused, who can't be identified under a publication ban, were married but separated at the time of the alleged sexual assault in November 2019. 

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking
Police in Burnaby say six people are facing a combined total of 36 charges related to illicit drug trafficking. A statement from the R-C-M-P says they were part of a "particularly violent" drug-trafficking organization with links to the Lower Mainland gang conflict.

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing
Police say a 32-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder after a fatal stabbing outside a Coquitlam pub last week. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says Coquitlam R-C-M-P had responded to a call about a fight outside the John B Pub on Friday night.

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150
Canada's top court is expanding its public outreach to build trust at a time of increasing misinformation as more people get their news from social media. Chief Justice Richard Wagner and other justices of the Supreme Court of Canada launched a cross-country tour in Victoria, B.C., on Monday to mark the court's 150th anniversary.

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150

Weak loonie signals economy is 'in trouble': currency expert

Weak loonie signals economy is 'in trouble': currency expert
The Bank of Canada's end-of-day exchange rate Monday had the loonie trading at 68.48 cents US, but the Canadian dollar neared 70 cents in the minutes after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the planned tariffs would be paused for at least 30 days. The overall trend for the Canadian dollar however has been weak, which has implications for the economy. 

Weak loonie signals economy is 'in trouble': currency expert

Interprovincial trade barriers: what they are, why they exist and how to cut them

Interprovincial trade barriers: what they are, why they exist and how to cut them
The Trump administration's on-again, off-again threat to impose damaging tariffs has boosted an old idea for driving economic growth in Canada: eliminating interprovincial trade barriers. Here's a look at how interprovincial trade barriers work and why years of efforts to tear them down them have largely failed.

Interprovincial trade barriers: what they are, why they exist and how to cut them