Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 04:21 PM
  • Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

The president of the company involved in the Mount Polley environmental disaster that poured millions of cubic metres of mine tailings into B.C. waterways 10 years ago says the material spilled wasn't toxic.

Imperial Metals Corp. and two other firms were charged last month with 15 alleged Fisheries Act breaches, accused of allowing a "deleterious substance" from the mine's tailings pond into several bodies of water.

But Imperial Metals president Brian Kynoch says the mine tailings were "benign," and the breach released traces of elements like copper and arsenic that are naturally occurring. 

Kynoch says no waters were poisoned by the spill, and testing showed that drinking water guidelines were not exceeded and fish numbers bounced back in the years following the spill. 

He says the company's lawyers have advised him not to speak publicly about the charges that Imperial is facing under the Fisheries Act, and Imperial Metals previously said after being charged that it did not intend to make public statements.

The Fisheries Act indictment says the companies' work "resulted in serious harm to fish that are part of a commercial, recreational or Aboriginal fishery.”

The catastrophic collapse of the tailings dam in the B.C. Interior sent about 25 million cubic metres of tailings from the copper and gold mine surging into waterways including Polley and Quesnel lakes on Aug. 4, 2014. 

Some scientists say there have been years of environmental impact at the site.

Greg Pyle, an aquatic eco-toxicologist and professor emeritus at the University of Lethbridge, has published research showing tiny invertebrates that form the basis of the aquatic food chain displayed elevated metal accumulation at sites affected by the spill, and he has called it one of the "most contaminated sites in the country."

Kynoch said in an interview that the physical damage caused by the tailings pond failure isn't in question, but he said water and fish testing data collected in the aftermath showed fears of toxicity didn't come to pass. 

"We've spent millions of dollars on testing and it's kind of like it's ignored," Kynoch said. "We haven't had a fish sample that didn't pass the test for it being edible." 

He said the company recognizes the cultural importance of fish to nearby First Nations, and "worked diligently" to keep them informed as they worked to remediate and reopen the mine. 

He said mining companies around the world, and particularly in B.C., are aware of the importance of relationships with local First Nations and local residents and to keep them "more involved in the process."

"No matter what we do, accidents can still happen," Kynoch said. "A lot of effort was put into tailings. … Anything we engineer, anything we design, no matter how much you do it, there's still risk and so we need to do all we can to mitigate the risk." 

Since the dam failure, Kynoch said the company successfully did a trial of "dry stacking" tailings at the mine, which means they're not subject to flowing away like those stored in liquid. 

He said the dry stacking method is an "evolution" of tailings storage. 

"They'll be more solid, I think, and lots of mines in the world are headed that way," he said. 

While he's constrained from speaking on the charges for alleged fisheries violations, Kynoch said the company didn't "run away" after the tailings pond failure.

"We stayed. We fixed the creek. We spent our money," he said. "I'm actually proud of that part of it. The fish are back there in the creeks and spawning."

"We faced the music and fixed up the creek from my perspective," he said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike
A Quebec woman whose father died in British Columbia last month says her family has been unable to properly grieve because the Canada Post strike has left his remains in limbo. Emily Walstrom said her father's cremated remains were put into the mail before Canada Post employees walked off the job on Nov. 15. 

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike

Robson Square ice rink open for winter

Robson Square ice rink open for winter
Vancouver's Robson Square ice rink is open for the winter. The Ministry of Citizens' Services says the rink, which draws more than 100-thousand skaters annually, will run seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. until Feb. 28, 2025. 

Robson Square ice rink open for winter

Man charged in break and enter

Man charged in break and enter
Mounties in Richmond say a man has been charged after an alleged five-day break and enter spree in the city a year ago. They say that between November 8th and 12th, 2023, officers were called to nine break-and-enters in apartment buildings in the city centre.

Man charged in break and enter

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says incoming U.S. president Donald Trump's threats on tariffs should be taken seriously. President-elect Trump threatened on social media this week to impose a 25-per-cent import tariff on goods coming from Canada and Mexico over concerns about border enforcement.

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery
Canada's top court has affirmed the constitutionality of a law allowing British Columbia to pursue a class-action lawsuit against opioid providers on behalf of other provinces, the territories and the federal government. The Supreme Court of Canada's 6-1 decision Friday is another step toward a potential cross-country action by governments that paid to treat patients who took the addictive drugs. 

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention
As Australia moves to ban social media for children under 16, Quebec is debating whether to follow suit. The provincial government decided last spring to study the possibility of setting a minimum age for social media accounts, following a push from the youth wing of the governing Coalition Avenir Québec.

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention