Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 04:21 PM
  • Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

The president of the company involved in the Mount Polley environmental disaster that poured millions of cubic metres of mine tailings into B.C. waterways 10 years ago says the material spilled wasn't toxic.

Imperial Metals Corp. and two other firms were charged last month with 15 alleged Fisheries Act breaches, accused of allowing a "deleterious substance" from the mine's tailings pond into several bodies of water.

But Imperial Metals president Brian Kynoch says the mine tailings were "benign," and the breach released traces of elements like copper and arsenic that are naturally occurring. 

Kynoch says no waters were poisoned by the spill, and testing showed that drinking water guidelines were not exceeded and fish numbers bounced back in the years following the spill. 

He says the company's lawyers have advised him not to speak publicly about the charges that Imperial is facing under the Fisheries Act, and Imperial Metals previously said after being charged that it did not intend to make public statements.

The Fisheries Act indictment says the companies' work "resulted in serious harm to fish that are part of a commercial, recreational or Aboriginal fishery.”

The catastrophic collapse of the tailings dam in the B.C. Interior sent about 25 million cubic metres of tailings from the copper and gold mine surging into waterways including Polley and Quesnel lakes on Aug. 4, 2014. 

Some scientists say there have been years of environmental impact at the site.

Greg Pyle, an aquatic eco-toxicologist and professor emeritus at the University of Lethbridge, has published research showing tiny invertebrates that form the basis of the aquatic food chain displayed elevated metal accumulation at sites affected by the spill, and he has called it one of the "most contaminated sites in the country."

Kynoch said in an interview that the physical damage caused by the tailings pond failure isn't in question, but he said water and fish testing data collected in the aftermath showed fears of toxicity didn't come to pass. 

"We've spent millions of dollars on testing and it's kind of like it's ignored," Kynoch said. "We haven't had a fish sample that didn't pass the test for it being edible." 

He said the company recognizes the cultural importance of fish to nearby First Nations, and "worked diligently" to keep them informed as they worked to remediate and reopen the mine. 

He said mining companies around the world, and particularly in B.C., are aware of the importance of relationships with local First Nations and local residents and to keep them "more involved in the process."

"No matter what we do, accidents can still happen," Kynoch said. "A lot of effort was put into tailings. … Anything we engineer, anything we design, no matter how much you do it, there's still risk and so we need to do all we can to mitigate the risk." 

Since the dam failure, Kynoch said the company successfully did a trial of "dry stacking" tailings at the mine, which means they're not subject to flowing away like those stored in liquid. 

He said the dry stacking method is an "evolution" of tailings storage. 

"They'll be more solid, I think, and lots of mines in the world are headed that way," he said. 

While he's constrained from speaking on the charges for alleged fisheries violations, Kynoch said the company didn't "run away" after the tailings pond failure.

"We stayed. We fixed the creek. We spent our money," he said. "I'm actually proud of that part of it. The fish are back there in the creeks and spawning."

"We faced the music and fixed up the creek from my perspective," he said.

MORE National ARTICLES

2 arrested in string of break-ins

2 arrested in string of break-ins
Port Moody police say they have arrested two men in a string of vehicle break-ins in the city. Police say officers received a report over the weekend of two suspects attempting to break into parked cars in the Heritage Mountain neighbourhood.

2 arrested in string of break-ins

Man dead after collision with semi-truck

Man dead after collision with semi-truck
Police say a man is dead after his pickup collided with a semi-truck near Quesnel. Mounties say the crash happened on November 29th just before 4:30 p-m on Highway 97 north of the community.

Man dead after collision with semi-truck

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold
Canada Post says it's waiting for a response from the union representing some 55,000 striking workers after it offered a new framework for negotiations over the weekend.  The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has said its negotiators are reviewing the proposal.

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister
The charges against three pro-Palestinian activists accused of criminally harassing federal Immigration Minister Marc Miller have been dropped. The activists' lawyer, Barbara Bedont, said today the charges were withdrawn on Nov. 29 after the three accused presented video that countered the allegations against them.

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

Pandemic business loan program lacked ‘value for money’: auditor general

Pandemic business loan program lacked ‘value for money’: auditor general
The auditor general says the small business loan program the federal government rolled out during the COVID-19 pandemic wasn’t managed in a cost-effective way. Auditor general Karen Hogan says the Canada Emergency Business Account program wasn’t managed with “due regard for value for money.”

Pandemic business loan program lacked ‘value for money’: auditor general

B.C. Securities Commission imposes $18 M in sanctions over crypto case

B.C. Securities Commission imposes $18 M in sanctions over crypto case
The British Columbia Securities Commission has imposed more than $18 million in sanctions on a cryptocurrency trading platform and its owner who it says diverted customers' assets to gambling and personal accounts. The commission says it has ordered David Smillie and his company, ezBtc, to pay $10.4 million representing the net amount they've gained from their customers "less repayments."

B.C. Securities Commission imposes $18 M in sanctions over crypto case