Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey man charged with 17 criminal offences, gets 15 years imprisonment

Surrey man charged with 17 criminal offences, gets 15 years imprisonment
Brandon Nandan has pleased guilty to various charges including possession of controlled substances (Fentanyl, Cocaine and Methamphetamine) for the 
purpose of trafficking and counselling person A to commit the Indictable Offence of Discharging a Firearm with intent to 
endanger life, and possession of a loaded 9mm caliber Beretta model 92FS Semi automatic pistol. 

Surrey man charged with 17 criminal offences, gets 15 years imprisonment

Woman attacked in unprovoked stranger assault on a bus in June

Woman attacked in unprovoked stranger assault on a bus in June
As soon as the bus stopped, the suspect approached the victim as she was speaking with the bus operator.  Then, without provocation, allegedly punched her in the head and face several times, causing her to fall to the ground. He was last seen exiting the bus at Main Street and 64thAvenue.

Woman attacked in unprovoked stranger assault on a bus in June

B.C. ending immigration detention deal with CBSA

B.C. ending immigration detention deal with CBSA
The groups released a report in June 2021 saying immigrants with no criminal charges against them are detained in holding centres, federal prisons or provincial jails for "indeterminate amounts of time." They launched a campaign calling on B.C. to end its contract last October, and later expanded their push to Quebec and Nova Scotia.

B.C. ending immigration detention deal with CBSA

Highest court agrees B.C. man guilty of 1st-degre

Highest court agrees B.C. man guilty of 1st-degre
The Supreme Court of Canada decision released Thursday agrees with a B.C. Court of Appeal ruling last year that raised the conviction of Darren Sundman from second-degree murder to first-degree and imposed a minimum 25-year prison term before being eligible for parole.

Highest court agrees B.C. man guilty of 1st-degre

B.C. announces consumer protection for homebuyers

B.C. announces consumer protection for homebuyers
Finance Minister Selina Robinson says the consumer protection policy effective Jan. 1 is aimed at providing people with peace of mind as unconditional offers are common and could later end up costing buyers thousands of dollars in repairs.

B.C. announces consumer protection for homebuyers

Darpan's 10 with City of Surrey Councillor Mandeep Nagra

Darpan's 10 with City of Surrey Councillor Mandeep Nagra
There are number of things that I am always going to be very proud of that we achieved in last four years as a team. We are building Newton Recreation Centre which is going to have an Olympic size pool, volleyball courts, badminton courts, and a number of other facilities on 7 acres. 150 million dollars for this project has already been allocated in the budget.

Darpan's 10 with City of Surrey Councillor Mandeep Nagra