Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada confirms 604 cases of monkeypox

Canada confirms 604 cases of monkeypox
The cases included 320 from Quebec, 230 from Ontario, 40 from British Columbia, 12 from Alberta and two from Saskatchewan. The Canadian federal government said on Wednesday that it will fund to support community-based organisations in addressing monkeypox.

Canada confirms 604 cases of monkeypox

B.C. attorney general Eby announces leadership bid

B.C. attorney general Eby announces leadership bid
Eby's announcement ends weeks of speculation as other high-profile New Democrats have bowed out of this fall's leadership election, with the winner set to be announced on Dec. 3. Premier John Horgan announced last month he would resign due to health reasons, following two bouts with cancer, paving the way for a new leader.

B.C. attorney general Eby announces leadership bid

Parole hearing for truck driver in Broncos crash

Parole hearing for truck driver in Broncos crash
Sidhu went through a stop sign at a rural Saskatchewan intersection and drove into the path of the junior hockey team's bus as it was on its way to a playoff game. Sidhu, who has been serving his sentence at a prison in Bowden, Alta., is asking to be released pending possible deportation.  

Parole hearing for truck driver in Broncos crash

B.C. residents warned to prepare for hot spell

B.C. residents warned to prepare for hot spell
Environment Canada says heat in the mid- to high 20s should reach the south coast and parts of the northern Interior by next week, while the Okanagan, central and southeastern B.C. could see temperatures nudging the high 30s over the same period.

B.C. residents warned to prepare for hot spell

2 car collision in Vancouver leaves 5 year old girl badly injured

2 car collision in Vancouver leaves 5 year old girl badly injured
The girl was standing on the sidewalk with her father and siblings when two cars collided in the intersection of Cornwall Avenue and Arbutus Street around 11 a.m. The vehicles then mounted the sidewalk and struck the girl. There were no other life-threatening injuries.

2 car collision in Vancouver leaves 5 year old girl badly injured

Former Surrey MLA and MP Gordie Hogg is Surrey First mayoral candidate

Former Surrey MLA and MP Gordie Hogg is Surrey First mayoral candidate
Surrey First launched its October 15 municipal election campaign today by naming former Surrey MLA and MP Gordie Hogg as its mayoral candidate, and introducing the first three of its slate of eight council nominees, including current city councillor Linda Annis, Bilal Cheema and Mary-Em Waddington.

Former Surrey MLA and MP Gordie Hogg is Surrey First mayoral candidate