Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

National Holocaust Monument vandalized with 'FEED ME' written in red paint

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Jun, 2025 01:32 PM
  • National Holocaust Monument vandalized with 'FEED ME' written in red paint

An act of vandalism that targeted the National Holocaust Monument in Ottawa was an antisemitic attack, the co-chair of the monument committee said Monday.

The words "FEED ME" were found scrawled in red paint across the face of the monument Monday morning. Red paint was splashed on other portions of the monument as well.

Crews covered parts of the monument in black plastic as they worked to remove the paint.

"My father is a Holocaust survivor. His sister and his mother and father were all killed. My daughter is named after his sister," said Lawrence Greenspon, co-chair of the monument committee.

"When somebody defaces the National Holocaust Monument, it is personal and it hurts, and particularly when it is such an act of hatred and antisemitism."

Deborah Lyons, Canada's special envoy on preserving Holocaust remembrance and combating antisemitism, said she was "crushed" when she saw that the monument had been vandalized.

She said that this was an antisemitic hate crime targeting Jews who have no connection to the Israeli government or its policies in Gaza.

"This is not a way to address the concerns that people have, either about what's happening in the Middle East or certainly about what's happened in our own country with the high spike of antisemitism," Lyons said.

The Ottawa Police Service said its hate and bias crime unit is leading the investigation.

When asked whether the vandalism is being investigated as a hate crime, a spokeswoman for city police said that updates will be shared when available.

Ottawa police investigated a January 2020 vandalism incident at the monument as a hate crime.

Police released photos of a suspect in that incident who allegedly threw eggs at the monument, which is dedicated to the more than six million Jews killed in the Holocaust.

In a social media post Monday, Prime Minister Mark Carney said he was "appalled" by the vandalism.

"This is a monument that commemorates the six million Jewish lives murdered during the Holocaust, and the millions of other victims of Nazi Germany. It is a space for mourning and remembrance," Carney said in the post.

Greenspon called on world leaders to go beyond "bland and banal" condemnations and take action against antisemitism. He also said government leaders should "stop blaming Israel for the current conflict in the Middle East" — a clear shot at Carney.

"Every time that a leader, including our own prime minister, stands with the leaders of France and Britain and condemns Israel for the situation in Gaza, it just feeds the fuels of antisemitism," Greenspon said.

He was referring to a May 19 letter Carney co-signed with British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and French President Emmanuel Macron. In it, the three leaders condemned the expansion of Israeli military operations in Gaza and called the level of suffering in the territory "intolerable."

The letter called for the Israeli government to let more food and aid into Gaza and to end military operations there, and for Hamas to release its remaining hostages. The three leaders said they would take "concrete actions" if Israel did not comply.

Shortly after, the British government imposed sanctions on what it called a "West Bank violence network."

Canada and France have threatened targeted sanctions related to attempts to expand Israeli settlements in the West Bank but have not yet followed through.

Lyons said the government has taken steps to address antisemitism and cited Carney's support for "bubble legislation" to restrict protest activities outside sensitive spaces like places of worship and schools.

"This is an effort that requires all Canadians to be engaged in fighting, I think, one of the strongest hatreds that we have ever seen Canada have to address. And if we fail at this, then we will fail at others in the future," Lyons said.

"What's happening in the Middle East has to be dealt with by people there and by the international community, but it does not help to destroy property or intimidate and harass and terrify Canadians back here at home."

Conservative deputy leader Melissa Lantsman called the vandalism at the memorial a "disgusting and cowardly act."

"Parliament is just steps away — that’s where dissent belongs. Defacing sacred ground in honour of the millions of victims of the Holocaust in the middle of the night with spray paint isn’t protest, it’s vandalism," she said on social media.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

MORE National ARTICLES

Man hurt in unprovoked stranger attack in Vancouver, police say

Man hurt in unprovoked stranger attack in Vancouver, police say
Police are investigating an assault in downtown Vancouver where a stranger hit a man in the face in an unprovoked attack.  Vancouver Police say the attack happened over the weekend on West Georgia Street in front of the Hudson's Bay store, where surveillance cameras caught the assault on video.

Man hurt in unprovoked stranger attack in Vancouver, police say

Canadian among three climbers missing on New Zealand's highest peak

Canadian among three climbers missing on New Zealand's highest peak
A Canadian is among three climbers missing after they'd planned to climb New Zealand's highest peak. A news release from the New Zealand Police says two Americans, Kurt Blair, 56, and Carlos Romero, 50, and the unnamed Canadian flew into Plateau Hut on Saturday morning and planned to summit Aoraki, also known as Mount Cook.

Canadian among three climbers missing on New Zealand's highest peak

Anti-Israel war protesters arrested following sit-in at parliamentary building

Anti-Israel war protesters arrested following sit-in at parliamentary building
Fourteen people were arrested on Parliament Hill this morning after staging a sit-in demanding Canada immediately stop sending any weapons to Israel. The protesters from Jews Say No to Genocide Coalition sat shoulder-to-shoulder in the entrance to the Confederation Building, which contains dozens of offices for members of Parliament.

Anti-Israel war protesters arrested following sit-in at parliamentary building

Health-care costs will rise significantly as population ages, says new report

Health-care costs will rise significantly as population ages, says new report
A new report says Canada needs to rethink its approach to health care to help manage rising costs as people age. CSA Group, an organization that helps policymakers develop standards around health and safety, says health care currentlycosts about $12,000 per year for each person 65 years and older, compared to $2,700 for each person younger than 65. 

Health-care costs will rise significantly as population ages, says new report

Defence argues evidence too thin in Ottawa neo-Nazi terrorism trial

Defence argues evidence too thin in Ottawa neo-Nazi terrorism trial
Defence lawyers for an Ottawa graphic designer facing terror charges over his alleged involvement with the neo-Nazi group Atomwaffen Division say the evidence against their client is flimsy. Closing arguments are wrapping up in the trial of Patrick Macdonald, who pleaded not guilty to three charges of terrorism and hate speech.

Defence argues evidence too thin in Ottawa neo-Nazi terrorism trial

Cucumbers recalled due to salmonella

Cucumbers recalled due to salmonella
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is recalling field cucumbers – some of which were distributed in B-C – for possible salmonella contamination. The affected products from Mexico may have been labelled “SunFed” or sold loose without a brand name.

Cucumbers recalled due to salmonella