Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

National Holocaust Monument vandalized with 'FEED ME' written in red paint

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Jun, 2025 01:32 PM
  • National Holocaust Monument vandalized with 'FEED ME' written in red paint

An act of vandalism that targeted the National Holocaust Monument in Ottawa was an antisemitic attack, the co-chair of the monument committee said Monday.

The words "FEED ME" were found scrawled in red paint across the face of the monument Monday morning. Red paint was splashed on other portions of the monument as well.

Crews covered parts of the monument in black plastic as they worked to remove the paint.

"My father is a Holocaust survivor. His sister and his mother and father were all killed. My daughter is named after his sister," said Lawrence Greenspon, co-chair of the monument committee.

"When somebody defaces the National Holocaust Monument, it is personal and it hurts, and particularly when it is such an act of hatred and antisemitism."

Deborah Lyons, Canada's special envoy on preserving Holocaust remembrance and combating antisemitism, said she was "crushed" when she saw that the monument had been vandalized.

She said that this was an antisemitic hate crime targeting Jews who have no connection to the Israeli government or its policies in Gaza.

"This is not a way to address the concerns that people have, either about what's happening in the Middle East or certainly about what's happened in our own country with the high spike of antisemitism," Lyons said.

The Ottawa Police Service said its hate and bias crime unit is leading the investigation.

When asked whether the vandalism is being investigated as a hate crime, a spokeswoman for city police said that updates will be shared when available.

Ottawa police investigated a January 2020 vandalism incident at the monument as a hate crime.

Police released photos of a suspect in that incident who allegedly threw eggs at the monument, which is dedicated to the more than six million Jews killed in the Holocaust.

In a social media post Monday, Prime Minister Mark Carney said he was "appalled" by the vandalism.

"This is a monument that commemorates the six million Jewish lives murdered during the Holocaust, and the millions of other victims of Nazi Germany. It is a space for mourning and remembrance," Carney said in the post.

Greenspon called on world leaders to go beyond "bland and banal" condemnations and take action against antisemitism. He also said government leaders should "stop blaming Israel for the current conflict in the Middle East" — a clear shot at Carney.

"Every time that a leader, including our own prime minister, stands with the leaders of France and Britain and condemns Israel for the situation in Gaza, it just feeds the fuels of antisemitism," Greenspon said.

He was referring to a May 19 letter Carney co-signed with British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and French President Emmanuel Macron. In it, the three leaders condemned the expansion of Israeli military operations in Gaza and called the level of suffering in the territory "intolerable."

The letter called for the Israeli government to let more food and aid into Gaza and to end military operations there, and for Hamas to release its remaining hostages. The three leaders said they would take "concrete actions" if Israel did not comply.

Shortly after, the British government imposed sanctions on what it called a "West Bank violence network."

Canada and France have threatened targeted sanctions related to attempts to expand Israeli settlements in the West Bank but have not yet followed through.

Lyons said the government has taken steps to address antisemitism and cited Carney's support for "bubble legislation" to restrict protest activities outside sensitive spaces like places of worship and schools.

"This is an effort that requires all Canadians to be engaged in fighting, I think, one of the strongest hatreds that we have ever seen Canada have to address. And if we fail at this, then we will fail at others in the future," Lyons said.

"What's happening in the Middle East has to be dealt with by people there and by the international community, but it does not help to destroy property or intimidate and harass and terrify Canadians back here at home."

Conservative deputy leader Melissa Lantsman called the vandalism at the memorial a "disgusting and cowardly act."

"Parliament is just steps away — that’s where dissent belongs. Defacing sacred ground in honour of the millions of victims of the Holocaust in the middle of the night with spray paint isn’t protest, it’s vandalism," she said on social media.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

MORE National ARTICLES

2 arrested in string of break-ins

2 arrested in string of break-ins
Port Moody police say they have arrested two men in a string of vehicle break-ins in the city. Police say officers received a report over the weekend of two suspects attempting to break into parked cars in the Heritage Mountain neighbourhood.

2 arrested in string of break-ins

Man dead after collision with semi-truck

Man dead after collision with semi-truck
Police say a man is dead after his pickup collided with a semi-truck near Quesnel. Mounties say the crash happened on November 29th just before 4:30 p-m on Highway 97 north of the community.

Man dead after collision with semi-truck

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold
Canada Post says it's waiting for a response from the union representing some 55,000 striking workers after it offered a new framework for negotiations over the weekend.  The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has said its negotiators are reviewing the proposal.

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister
The charges against three pro-Palestinian activists accused of criminally harassing federal Immigration Minister Marc Miller have been dropped. The activists' lawyer, Barbara Bedont, said today the charges were withdrawn on Nov. 29 after the three accused presented video that countered the allegations against them.

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

Pandemic business loan program lacked ‘value for money’: auditor general

Pandemic business loan program lacked ‘value for money’: auditor general
The auditor general says the small business loan program the federal government rolled out during the COVID-19 pandemic wasn’t managed in a cost-effective way. Auditor general Karen Hogan says the Canada Emergency Business Account program wasn’t managed with “due regard for value for money.”

Pandemic business loan program lacked ‘value for money’: auditor general

B.C. Securities Commission imposes $18 M in sanctions over crypto case

B.C. Securities Commission imposes $18 M in sanctions over crypto case
The British Columbia Securities Commission has imposed more than $18 million in sanctions on a cryptocurrency trading platform and its owner who it says diverted customers' assets to gambling and personal accounts. The commission says it has ordered David Smillie and his company, ezBtc, to pay $10.4 million representing the net amount they've gained from their customers "less repayments."

B.C. Securities Commission imposes $18 M in sanctions over crypto case